• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Bristol Rovers Match Day Thread

Steve H

How serious did the injury to Atangana look???
Might mean the search for a new central midfielder gets a bit more urgent....

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't think they are favourites and if they are I'd be amazed
I assume that was a bookies decision but hey, what do they know about gambling odds!!😎

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
How serious did the injury to Atangana look???
Might mean the search for a new central midfielder gets a bit more urgent....
It looked like he just tweaked his hamstring and went off as a precaution; he seemed to walk off the pitch ok.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
With all the issues with illness and injury Matt Taylor has understandably looked like he's been feeling the strain in recent interviews so it's great to see him looking much more upbeat today.

dontpassback

Well done city,pressure and pace from the start,we could have gone in 5 up at half time,everyone played well,and Rovers were played off the park,we backed off 2nd half,but key did well to set up nombe.if we can keep the momentum we will be too hot for a lot of teams UTC

STURTZ

Can't say too much, game was over well before half time. Superb forward play, especially Brown and Amond working together and Jay finding his feet and goalscoring boots again. Worry was Caprice at left midfield, he did alright but we would be so much better with a natural left footer.
Hartridges was dominant and Dawson played a blinder in goal.
To me Nombe is disappointing, first touch very poor and little evidence of this "blistering pace" we were promised.
Anyway hopefully the miserabilists will lay off Matt Taylor for a while now, famous victory and plenty more to come. Up the City!

grecIAN Harris

Well Amond was superb today. Deserved a goal. I think there is now genuine competition with Nombe up front.
Honorable mention to Key, he looked great especially in the second half running through their defence, back to his best.
Not surprised at the attendance, we had hardly been World beaters before today and plenty of fans will be on holiday.
If we can carry this on at Harrogate it sets up the Forest Green game brilliantly
For me it shouldn't be either or, it should be both. I think Nombe would benefit hugely from having the wilyness of Amond up front beside of him and Amond's wilyness and workrate will not be wasted by having Nombe up front beside of him as neither Brown or Jay are close enough to Amond to pick up on the mess and aggrovation that Amond is causing.. Then it's a case of who to play in behind, Jay or Brown. Both stated their case well today, Jay with his goals and Brown with his assists.
I haven't read the thread fully since half time and don't know if he's got a mention but, for all our attacking play (especially the first half obviously), Alex Hartridge was MoM for me today. He didn't put a foot wrong all day and got about his business with the minimum of fuss.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can't say too much, game was over well before half time. Superb forward play, especially Brown and Amond working together and Jay finding his feet and goalscoring boots again. Worry was Caprice at left midfield, he did alright but we would be so much better with a natural left footer.
To me Nombe is disappointing, first touch very poor and little evidence of this "blistering pace" we were promised.
Anyway hopefully the miserabilists will lay off Matt Taylor for a while now, famous victory and plenty more to come. Up the City!
Next game you would assume with some training behind him that Edwards will replace Caprice on the left. Nombe hasn't trained for 10 days so it should be expected he is slighly off the pace etc. Again give him a week of training he will look back to his pre season best

CraigECFC

Wouldn't read into Nombe's performance much. He's just come out of a 10 day isolation period, was always going to be rusty...

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Next game you would assume with some training behind him that Edwards will replace Caprice on the left. Nombe hasn't trained for 10 days so it should be expected he is slighly off the pace etc. Again give him a week of training he will look back to his pre season best
Does Edwards have the defensive ability to play as wing-back? Personally I thought that was one of the best games I've seen Caprice have but that was helped by the fact that Rovers put very little pressure on him defensively and he could spend most of the game in the opposition half.