• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Accrington match day thread

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
At the time (from my view on the BB) I thought he could have done better with Tom's shot-seeing it again on catch-up has just confirmed by thoughts. All goalies will be disappointed to be beaten at their near post
Sometimes big lumps at this level are not always as agile closer to the deck than they are in the air!

On another point why does Bobby stand on his 6 yard line when we are defending a diagonal free kick 10-15 yards outside our area-lucky yesterday that the crossbar saved his blushes-no way would he have been able to arch back and tip it over; if he stayed closer to his line -even 2-3 yards forward of it-then it would have been a simple catch just below the bar or a cautious/simple tip-over.
Perhaps I should revisit the coaching manual from 30 years ago!!
Exeweb already has its own resident (well,non-resident actually) goalkeeping coach...(facepalm)

On the up

I thought jmt was off balance rather than caught for pace
Wishful thinking possibly.

JMT best assets are his strength, determination and a sweet left foot. Unfortunately he is slow, which can get exposed when the ball or player gets behind him. Despite that a very good asset to our team. Hope his injury, which I suspect is a muscle strain is ok soon.

iscalad

When Davies came on for Tom, he went into midfield in place of Grant, and Grant went up front as a striker. Later Reid replaced Grant in a straight swop of strikers. Or maybe I was at a different game altogether from everyone else ?
I agree, but the booing was not just for taking Tom off.It seemed at that moment a negative substitution. Obviously it was tactical as we went on to win the match.

STURTZ

Thought Tom had given all he could, seems to me that he often scores early and loses pace as the game wears on, be interested to know how many goals (not penalties) that he scored in the first half as opposed to the second half.

Anyway Tom's off so what profit us to give him more match time when sooner or later we're going to have to find someone to replace him?

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Davies didn't do badly with the shot as grants past was slightly behind him, but I always think when you need a goal you try to keep your top scorer on or change him with another striker. We will never know but Tom may well have stuck that chance in the net.

Barum

Excellent first half, but IMHO pretty lucky to gain the 3 points on the second half showing.

STURTZ

Funny how 3 points makes everything so much rosier, no matter how lucky we were to get them!

5 points from the playoffs, a run of three wins would put us in touch I reckon, a run of five wins would cement our place in the play offs. Might be just me but I think we to do it (Waits for some killjoy to came on drivelling on about games in hand, goal difference, Morrison and stuff. Forget that bollox, we can do it!(clap)

Still dreaming of a play off final v Snot!

Last edited:

Grecian2K

Funny how 3 points makes everything so much rosier, no matter how lucky we were to get them!

5 points from the playoffs, a run of three wins would put us in touch I reckon, a run of five wins would cement our place in the play offs. Might be just me but I think we to do it (Waits for some killjoy to came on drivelling on about games in hand, goal difference, Morrison and stuff. Forget that bollox, we can do it!(clap)

Still dreaming of a play off final v Snot!
That's the spirit Sturtz (y)
Nil Desparandum Algaeatorum

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Will be nice to give the plastics another day out! :D

PeteUSA

The Accrington keeper will be immensly disappointed at that first goal he let in (or at least he should be!) He easily got across to that shot, but for reasons that defy me, it went past him! If Olejnik had let that in, a thrombosis was highly likely!