• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Stevenage Matchday Thread - Kick Off: 1.00PM

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
We are really missing Jake Taylor, Joel Randall and Randell Williams. 3 first choice players missing from the midfield is really noticeable.

Sweeneys lack of quality on the ball got exposed today against a relegation tier team. Atangana also was well off the pace for most of the game, we got completely over-ran in midfield and if it werent for Archie Collins we could have lost because of that.
I must declare an interest, I like Sweenz and think he gets a lot of unwarranted flak. Notwithstanding that, I'm struggling to think of a single occasion this afternoon when his 'lack of quality on the ball got exposed'.

I thought he was very solid defensively and hot half-bad offensively – he played Matt Jay in with that little ball inside the full-back two or three times today. I'd suggest he's got more 'quality on the ball' than Parkes and a lot more than McArdle.

ryancooper327

I would not be a fan of us moving forward with the formation we played for the first 70 minutes today
We played it every game bar about 5 last season.

Trapdoor

I must declare an interest, I like Sweenz and think he gets a lot of unwarranted flak. Notwithstanding that, I'm struggling to think of a single occasion this afternoon when his 'lack of quality on the ball got exposed'.

I thought he was very solid defensively and hot half-bad offensively – he played Matt Jay in with that little ball inside the full-back two or three times today. I'd suggest he's got more 'quality on the ball' than Parkes and a lot more than McArdle.
He hoofed it directly out of play a few times when trying to put a ball down the channel. He also got caught in possession twice, once in a really dangerous position. I lost count of the times he made what I consider to be the wrong choice in terms of passing.

I liked Sweeney for the first couple of years he spent with us but he's been getting progressively worse unfortunately.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
He hoofed it directly out of play a few times when trying to put a ball down the channel. He also got caught in possession twice, once in a really dangerous position. I lost count of the times he made what I consider to be the wrong choice in terms of passing.
I'd be interested to know if anyone else can remember any of these incidents, coz I'm damned if I can.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd be interested to know if anyone else can remember any of these incidents, coz I'm damned if I can.
I can to be fair Egg. I too thought his passing poor.

When he was caught, they should have done better then ended up with a corner.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I mean it's Sweeney... either way he ain't going to be playing much soon

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Taking nothing away from the players but we’ll play a lot better than that and lose no doubt....horrible slow soft pitch which did us no favours and suited Stevenage’s dogged defensive game plan....3 points gained today so happy with it 👍

Lammie

Boy it was cold!

well done lads, that’s a massive 3 points and sets us up for Tuesday. Matt deserves a lot of credit for today, I thought tactically he got it spot on.

couple of quick points,
1) sorry I bloused up Neil LMs message re the flags and COVID...
2) Interesting to see the comments about big Nige, I just think physically he’s such a beast, I’d like to see him do more to look after the ball in possession.. his run for MJs goal shows what he can do. On the flip side, look at his role in the second Sheff Weds goal.

I think Matt must be a really happy man tonight. Back on the bike.

UTC!

Smithyno6

Stats don’t show it but thought we outplayed them, quite easily. Refreshing to see Law & Jay in the same line up, get Law up to scratch again and I think our form will change. Stevenage ain’t great, Morecambe will be a test of if we’re turning a corner.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Stats don’t show it but thought we outplayed them, quite easily. Refreshing to see Law & Jay in the same line up, get Law up to scratch again and I think our form will change. Stevenage ain’t great, Morecambe will be a test of if we’re turning a corner.
I can see a return to a 4-2-3-1 formation. Need some legs on the pitch so can see a few changes. I expect Page, Key and possibly Kite playing.