• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Stevenage Matchday Thread - Kick Off: 1.00PM

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Many positives but universally the feeling was "don't care about performance as long as we win" which was correct. We started really well with Jay and Law looking like the two quality creative players they are. Cracking goal then passing gets sloppy as we start getting nervous. Opposition better than teams around then like Grimsby. When we got that third goal you could see the willingness to pass and move was back and confidence was retuning. If we get another three points on Tuesday confidence will return in spades

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
MT channeling Ranieri today, overly changing things around when I usually criticise for the opposite!

Stevenage are absolutely awful and provided no threat at all - it speaks to our defending at set pieces that we still managed to concede a goal.

Really disjointed performance but we did what I asked and that was 3 points no matter what. Also credit that after going 2-1 we went up the gear that we always had with some nice football for the last ten and really nice build up play for the goal. There aren't many players in our team that could do that cut inside then perfect through ball like Law. I want to see him play more even though he was quiet today.

We're starting to look up again and there's every chance that teams will drop points around us today looking at who they're playing.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Post-match interview with Matt Taylor

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Interview with goal scorer and captain Archie Collins

dontpassback

3 points and a confidence booster,not pretty but a win is a win,so onto Tuesday and a tough test against grizzly adams team,a game in hand so not too bad and hopefully the pitches will soon start to improve so we can knock it around like Brazil UTC !

Thought we looked tighter with the 3 centre backs, and Big Ryan had a bit more support with both MJ and Law behind him, but both play too much with their back to goal rather than on the half turn for me. I thought Big Nige broke up plenty of play, but gave the ball away cheaply too often. A good confidence boost, which was much needed. Bring on Tuesday!

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
With the line up we have I think we'd be better playing Jay as an attacking midfielder on the right and Law as an attacking midfielder on the left with Collins and Atangana holding behind.

That would give Jay and Law more clarity on their roles and the areas they need to be in.

I think they can play together, the set up just needs to suit them and the team more.
I thought that was what the formation was. 3-4-2-1 with Jay and Law behind Bowman.

The average position stats were misleading with Jay and Law trying to get in behind from Bowman's flick ons. And Parkes average position was so far back not because he was a sweeper but because he went very deep when Sweeney or Hartridge had possession so as to be able to receive the ball.

I agree with TPC that this formation is the best way of getting both Jay and Law in the same team and in positions that suit them well.

ECFC89

I would not be a fan of us moving forward with the formation we played for the first 70 minutes today

Trapdoor

We are really missing Jake Taylor, Joel Randall and Randell Williams. 3 first choice players missing from the midfield is really noticeable.

Sweeneys lack of quality on the ball got exposed today against a relegation tier team. Atangana also was well off the pace for most of the game, we got completely over-ran in midfield and if it werent for Archie Collins we could have lost because of that.

rooecfc

We are really missing Jake Taylor, Joel Randall and Randell Williams. 3 first choice players missing from the midfield is really noticeable.

Sweeneys lack of quality on the ball got exposed today against a relegation tier team. Atangana also was well off the pace for most of the game, we got completely over-ran in midfield and if it werent for Archie Collins we could have lost because of that.
sweeneys lack of quality on the ball? he had one of his better games this season hardly put a foot wrong