• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Sheffield Wednesday FA Cup 3rd round proper matchday thread

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I understand how the ball ends up in the net but it's not as simple as saying just stick out of his reach is it? I've agreed he should've done better but one of the worst misses in years is quite frankly absurd.
You're right: he's had worse misses this season.

IndoMike

I think the reaction to today is just one of crushing disappointment. People saw a promising, energetic Exeter side who were refreshed after a two week break, up against a weakened Wednesday with no manager, who hadn't trained all week, with different priorities and their Academy coach in the dugout. A golden chance to reach the 4R for the first time in more than a generation, indeed the first time we hadn't drawn a PL side at this stage for 25 years.

The fact that after the first 5 minutes, we offered little, kept choosing the wrong pass, couldn't win a 50-50, and just looked disjointed was just really, really disappointing.

3 points on Tuesday and it will be all forgotten. God knows which version of Bolton will turn up.
I think that's the most accurate comment so far. Hopes were high based on the rumour they'd be playing a much weakened side due to Covid, but it turned out they played 7-8 regulars. Even Matt said this was a golden opportunity to progress. It's not so.much that we were awful (although clearly we could have been better) but more that we were a bit too confident pre-match which has magnified the disappointment. Having followed City either in the flesh or otherwise since I was 7 years old I have got used to the disappointments and kind of half-expected it. When we think we're gonna win we lose and vice versa
We still have the opportunity to do well this season but we do have one or two glaring weaknesses which will hamper our top 3 chances.
Finally, please stop signing players who are
a . Over 32
b. Who come with a history of serious injuries (they might have been very good players in the past but if they are often out
they are of little use to us
If we're gonna take a chance I'd rather it was with younger, fit players from non-league or loan.

scottus86

Today was probably Seymour's last chance to impress. He hasn't done anything ever and I don't think we can persist with him.

PeteUSA

Just saw the highlights: That first one was an awful error of judgement by Ward. How the f*cking hell did he let that shot in from that angle? It might have been somewhat powerful, but christ almighty it was a nice height for a keeper, and relatively easy to palm around the post, which is what I think he intended to do.

There would have been an almighty argument about their winner too had it not been too little too late. It didnt half look offside!

scottus86

Just saw the highlights: That first one was an awful error of judgement by Ward. How the f*cking hell did he let that shot in from that angle? It might have been somewhat powerful, but christ almighty it was a nice height for a keeper, and relatively easy to palm around the post, which is what I think he intended to do.

There would have been an almighty argument about their winner too had it not been too little too late. It didnt half look offside!
I thought offside too, but the pass was square and the receiver was behind the ball.

Banksy

I think that's the most accurate comment so far. Hopes were high based on the rumour they'd be playing a much weakened side due to Covid, but it turned out they played 7-8 regulars. Even Matt said this was a golden opportunity to progress. It's not so.much that we were awful (although clearly we could have been better) but more that we were a bit too confident pre-match which has magnified the disappointment. Having followed City either in the flesh or otherwise since I was 7 years old I have got used to the disappointments and kind of half-expected it. When we think we're gonna win we lose and vice versa
We still have the opportunity to do well this season but we do have one or two glaring weaknesses which will hamper our top 3 chances.
a . Over 32
b. Who come with a history of serious injuries (they might have been very good players in the past but if they are often out
If we're gonna take a chance I'd rather it was with younger, fit players from non-league or loan.
Well said Mike.
But cue Taylor’s signings this week being a thirty three year old injury prone CB and an Ajose lookalike up front.One or two glaring weaknesses is right , we won’t make it unless they are sorted out properly pronto.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
This mate of yours...I take it, it was in an outdoor setting?
He never said he met up with him.

grecIAN Harris

You need to look at both goals again Pete because you're looking in the wrong areas again. For the first goal, instead of looking at Ward being beaten from six yards out and trying to pin the blame on him, look at McArdle. If was Ward, I would have been verbally taking lumps out of him for such p!$$ poor defending. The second goal matey was at worst level with the ball when the pass was played. There is no argument to be had there.

Reactions: Ash

IBA

The fact is guys, the bigger and better teams nearly always win in the FA Cup. If that wasn't the case Marine or Havant & Waterlooville would win the Cup every year!

C j phill

a . Over 32
In terms of signing players, I hope that the process isnt just looking at stats shown on a computer screen, or worse, agent suggestions, but mirrors the "old days", where managers, coaches and scouts undertake due diligence and actually watch the intended signings in a number of games, even if they are, say, reserve matches, before making decisions. My concern is that the McCardle signing was based on the player's previous history rather than his form or physical condition.