• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Oxford United Matchday Thread

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Everyone knows we can't defend crosses mainly because we have a team of dwarfs. How about a more concerted effort to stop the crosses coming in. These are the basic sort of things that should be sorted in training.

As for the second just bring him down and get a yellow. Amateurish.
By George , Phillip I will not see my team play in such a way.

Copyright Jason H

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Be a good chap and try to grow up instead of carrying on your bizarre crusade.

malcolms

Running alongside the person with the ball without actually ever looking likely to put in a challenge is something we seem to be quite good at.
Perhaps it's a drill they work on in training......... :)

oxford don

Didn't see the game but the messages from the body language of the players on the highlights says it all really..especially when they conceded..they seemed to just accept the inevitable with no reaction of dismay or anger or any real enthusiasm. Its quite obvious morale in the changing room room is at a Low, and that is being amplified on the pitch with absolutely no pride or leadership whatsoever

There's only one man who can be responsible for this and the problem wont be solved until the cause is removed. Simples..

Light the happy clapper touch paper and stand back...(clap)

Edit...also no way are those Players fit enough for football in this league.

Last edited:

LOG

Perhaps it's a drill they work on in training......... :)
For sure, :) and it seems to be working. I mean, look at Oakley's attempts at the beginning of the "highlights" from the York match. He trots from one player to the next without even threatening to put in a tackle or block then, hey presto, they score. He might as well have not been there.

[video=youtube;aX_UsA4RlKs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX_UsA4RlKs[/video]

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

As did Aaron Davies. And the highlights failed to show MOTM Alex Nicholls giving possession away in the build up.

Why would Tis (or any of us) expect Harley to dive in with a sliding tackle when he never really has in the past? Tis should know that (rightly or wrongly) he doesn't do that and provide cover by way of an enforcer in midfield if he picks Harley.
He gave possession away on the edge of their D, and not at a corner either so it wasn't as if everyone was up either. When they won the ball there was 80 yards and a whole bunch of players to get through before they scored. His giving away possession was not the reason they scored.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
He gave possession away on the edge of their D, and not at a corner either so it wasn't as if everyone was up either. When they won the ball there was 80 yards and a whole bunch of players to get through before they scored. His giving away possession was not the reason they scored.
I never said it was.

But you implied earlier that the fact that Nicholls played well somehow justified Tis' decision to play in centre mid. I think that's ********. He put in a good shift (better than most last night) but would have been more effective in his natural position further up the pitch, while an actual centre midfielder would, in my most humble of opinions, been better in the centre of midfield.

Antony Moxey

I never said it was.

But you implied earlier that the fact that Nicholls played well somehow justified Tis' decision to play in centre mid. I think that's ********. He put in a good shift (better than most last night) but would have been more effective in his natural position further up the pitch, while an actual centre midfielder would, in my most humble of opinions, been better in the centre of midfield.
I thought he was our best player by some distance. Find someone else in that line up last night who could have done his role better if you like. I'd also suggest a MotM performance perfectly justifies the decision to play someone in a certain position.

older-codger

I agree with Ant here. Alex Nicholls was far and away the one man who was trying to produce something and his goal was just reward. I also agree that Stockly contributed nothing and it was significant that he was the man marking the scorer of the first goal. only to turn his back on the scorer.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
it was more like a training exercise for Oxford, they didn't even have to break sweat. They had won by half time.
Taken from the Oxford forum.

That said, in most be noted that Exeter were utter dog ****e. Their defence was all at sea, and they created very little until it was already to late and we had really started to look content with just the four goals. They also seemed absolutely incapable of defending a set piece.

That, I'm afraid, is how others see us.