• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Oxford United Matchday Thread

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
I couldn't go last night so listened to GP with the Arsenal Barcelona game on in the background. That Messi bloke looked good, we should add him to the squad, but I'm a bit worried we would try him at left back and then leave him on the bench for the next 6 games :S

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I couldn't go last night so listened to GP with the Arsenal Barcelona game on in the background. That Messi bloke looked good, we should add him to the squad, but I'm a bit worried we would try him at left back and then leave him on the bench for the next 6 games :S
Some sat close to me in the OG mentioned Tisdale would leave Messi out next game if he had scored too

supernova

That's as poor as I've seen us for many a year. It really felt like a return to the late 90s/early 00s when we were perennially rubbish.

Either Tisdale is still undertaking this crazy squad rotation experiment, or he's completely run out of ideas. I can't for the life of me think of any other reason that he shows such inconsistency with his team selections all over the park. The constant changes have left the team with no identity, no personality, no collective sense of game plan. I feel for the players (as ****e as they were), they look totally confused. They haven't gelled as a team because there is no consistent starting XI or consistent game plan. They look rusty because the majority of them only start 70% of the games. How can anyone hit form when they are dropped for no reason after a couple of games? And how can any young player feel that they can force their way into the starting XI when there is no clear 'best team'?

If it's squad rotation then Tisdale has got it completely wrong. We're going to enter the last 1/4 of the season with a huge squad full of fresh legs but with absolutely no form and no confidence, with nothing to play for. Tisdale has bought a squad but neglected to build a team. For that he should be relieved of his duties, even if it costs us to do so. It will be a sound investment in the longer term.

If the tinkering is because he's run out of ideas then the same applies. Thanks for the memories, here's your pay-off, bye bye Tis.
spot on there

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
"There’s a fault in what we did today. I don’t know how it got, in the space of four games, to where it did today. From three straight wins to how we played today, I don’t have all the answers straight away. I have to look at it and we have to make sure we get ourselves connected and together and that’s in every aspect - it’s not just about one moment, we didn’t look like a footballing side throughout the game tonight. We didn’t pass the ball well enough, and it was a generally dismal display."

So...how about trying, just as an experiment, when you've had your look for answers, deciding what is your best and most effective starting lineup (without playing players out of their natural positions), sticking to it from game to game (barring unpredictable injuries etc.), allowing that band of players to gel together in competitive games, leaving Clinton at home, playing with real width and utilising the excellent wingers we have as wingers and employing some motivational skills? Worth a try??
You make some very valid points. At the same time, I for one would like to know how satisfied, or otherwise, the Trust is with the current state of affairs.

More to the point, can you reassure us the Trust representatives that sit on the club board are at least asking some pertinent questions, if not demanding answers?!

Last edited:

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
A statement from those in charge would help

Either the old vote of confidence of appreciation of how poor we've been for a continued period

Mr Jinx

I've kind of lost track of it and really can't be bothered to trawl through the boards to find out, but when is Tisdale's current contract up?

malcolms

I've kind of lost track of it and really can't be bothered to trawl through the boards to find out, but when is Tisdale's current contract up?
By common consent.... It's two years from today, or two years from tomorrow, or two years from Friday week.... Who knows though?

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Two things to add...
In the first half Grant gets the ball on the break from their corner and as he tries to get away is shoved over, free kick, Oxford re group.
Minutes later, Oxford get the ball on the break, player runs 40 yards without a tackle being made and puts in the forward for 2-0.
Naïve pathetic defending. When we had more successful times under Tisdale you had someone like Taylor, Gill or Tully bringing a player down in that position. Where are the players with that edge in their game?
Secondly, Tisdale out, tactics, I get all of that, but marking players when the ball is being crossed.... Three conceded tonight, Saturdays equaliser.. its unacceptable and falls on the players.
So frustrating. It's not rocket science. If you can't keep a clean sheet for love nor money you get two players to sit in front of the back four to give protection.

What did we get in central midfield? Harley and Alex Nicholls, neither of whom are defensive midfielders.

Why Tisdale brought back Jake Taylor instead of trying to resign James Dunne or a midfielder with a bit of aggression about him, only he knows.

Mr Jinx

So with that in mind, basically he's only going to leave if a) another club offers him better (realistically a Championship side considering his current wage which isn't going to happen) or b) the club sacks him.

Which begs the question, how much further do things have to go before the club would seriously consider sacking him? Do we have to wait until relegation to Conference?

older-codger

Why Tisdale brought back Jake Taylor instead of trying to resign James Dunne .
Actually he did try to sign Dunne, but after his last appearance at SJP I for one am glad he failed as he would have been just another of the same ilk that we already have