• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Forest Green Rovers Matchday Thread

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
On another note, I know i'll probably get a lot of stick for this but as decent as Jonny's save was, the striker has to score and he's headed it straight down the middle of the goal...

1burnm

Seems to be quite a few negative comments despite a win and a clean sheet against a team who were top of the league and played us off the park last season IIRC.

The constant call to put teams to the sword is in my opinion unrealistic, you can't constantly score 3 or 4 goals in a game, clean sheets will win us football matches and we got one today. Even if we scored 10 today that wouldn't mean we would automatically go and win our next game.

Really good result and the response after our home defeat to Grimsby has been brilliant and hopefully a sign that we will certainly be there or there abouts at the end of the season.
I totally agree, there was a lot to like about todays performance, Exeter were a lot more solid than against Orient or Grimsby (obvoiusly). The start was absolutely immense, FG didn't get a second to settle, and it could have been a 2 or 3 goal lead. After that it was inevitable that they would get back into it, you can't press like that for 90 minutes, but Exeter still looked like they were largely in control, Parkes Martin and Taylor were very smart in the tackle and there was a lot of clever gamesmanship in the last 10 minutes or so making sure that they couldn't pile pressure on when they wanted to. You couldnt expect to put FG to the sword, they are a team playing with confidence, they also have surely one of the best defenders in league 2 in Rawson.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
DevonLive reporting that we regained top spot 🙄
Ha..I was walking past Ryan Bowman as he was doing a post match interview & the reporter asked him about being at the top of the table,Bowman replied that they were 2nd behind Crewe :D..

Red Devon

Match winning save from Maxted it looked absolutely world class from the IPS....storming opening 15 minutes from City which should have produced more goals....good to see Sweeney coming back to his best by pushing up well and playing some smart balls forwards...Sparkes was superb in creating the chance for Bowman....a strong performance all round with FGR only limited to one proper chance....Aaron Martin must have been pushing for MOM but it’s go a go to Maxted for THAT save.

benjisheps

Think we've got our defence right. Good result, as usual could have had more by half time, a Law miss was particularly disapointing. In the end we relied on an amazing save when they really should have scored.
Sorry to moan but why bring on Fisher to have two target men when we are looking to close them down and kill the game in midfield?
Bizarre,
Because you then have two big men up top to try and hold the ball up in their half away from our goal. Also you then have an added height dimension not only for our own set pieces but also to defend theirs. The 2nd half was becoming quite niggley and their were a lot of free-kicks going both ways and FGR have scored quite a few goals from set pieces this year so bringing Fisher on was a good move and MT even mentioned him in his interview afterwards.

grecIAN Harris

Seems to be quite a few negative comments despite a win and a clean sheet against a team who were top of the league and played us off the park last season IIRC.

The constant call to put teams to the sword is in my opinion unrealistic, you can't constantly score 3 or 4 goals in a game, clean sheets will win us football matches and we got one today. Even if we scored 10 today that wouldn't mean we would automatically go and win our next game.

Really good result and the response after our home defeat to Grimsby has been brilliant and hopefully a sign that we will certainly be there or there abouts at the end of the season.
Of course it is unrealistic to expect it every week but if Matt is going to complain about, and he is right to do so, then he has to change it and he hasn't. The opportunities are there and it's not like we don't have the personnel.

les.gtfc

Can we play you every week?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Very enjoyable afternoon, a big crowd often makes the experience more intense.

IMO we actually played much better in the first half at Crewe last Saturday but then as today faded in the middle part of the second half. This is something I'm sure the coaching team will recognise. The turning point / difference was Maxted's save, a two pointer if ever there was. Also we "managed" the last 15 minutes much better today, upping the tempo briefly then slowing it down in the last few minutes. Shout out to Fisher for doing the job he was sent on to do really well.

With Atangana in the team in coming weeks we will be even stronger.

Onwards and upwards.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
😊

If we played you every week I'd be happy, I like your team's approach and your club. But we'd win most of the time.

exeter-loyal

No your keeper annoys me.