• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Forest Green Rovers Matchday Thread

zeefour

One of my fleeting visits to watch an Exeter game. My report is first half, especially early on Exeter were brilliant. 3 or 4-0 wouldn't have been unfair end of the half. Thought their keeper cheated (collided with his own player) and the ref was the worst ref I've seen (and I've seen some bad ones in the Championship). But this guy was unfit for purpose and think the manager should complain to the EFL about his performance. Second half was pretty mediocre to be honest. Exeter seemed to run out of ideas. World class save from Maxted second half. Deserved win. Congrats to Exeter. And number 11 had a great game!

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yeah right. One decision you dont care for and he's "useless". He's had a very good game thus far.
Pete, how many bizarre, at best, decisions are you missing?
Well deserved win. First half an hour was excellent and then all of a sudden the ref started giving bizarre decisions, fouls for players slipping over, the odd decision to give them the ball when he stopped play when we had possession and a gaping open goal, then the second half slip from their player deemed a foul again. We've won yet they talk will still be about the incompetence of the officials.

Maxted made two good saves and looks a good first team goalkeeper, he did everything he needed to do comfortably.

Williams ran and worked hard, made a lot of our chances and caused them problems all through the game.

Sparkes was very good defensively, he didn't get forward as much as Williams, but he didn't need to. His delivery for the goal was excellent and he is playing like a much older player than he is.

Sweeney played well, defensively sound and his distribution has improved vastly over the last few weeks. He looks confident again, which is great news.

Aaron Martin was solid and is a very reliable last ditch defender who will dig his teammates out of trouble when called upon.

Tom Parkes was very good and took on Moxey's role of bringing the ball out from the back. Moxey probably does that better but Parkes is much more reliable defensively.

Nicky Law had a very good first half even if he did miss a few good chances, he was very involved down the right in the first half and bossed the midfield.

Jake Taylor took advantage of the space in the midfield well in the first half and protected the defence in the second half. I think we look better when he has a more attacking role in the team.

Collins did his job of protecting the back four but seemed to have run out of steam in the second half, it was a good decision to bring him off.

Lee Martin was getting into the right places a d working hard but his touch and decision making today let him down, along with some poor refereeing decisions going against him made him very frustrated. I'd have subbed him sooner.

Ryan Bowman did everything he needed to do today, first half he was excellent and took his goal well. Played some nice football, got in amongst their defenders, held the ball up and flicked it on at the right times.

Fisher didn't offer a lot when he came on.

Atagana looked comfortable if rusty in his short appearance, we regained a little more control once he came on.

Good performance, a good win and one we needed to win to stay on track.
Is he hell as like!!!! He's twenty yards away from where he should be. He needs to be along side and breaking past Bowman. Instead he's having to bust a gut to even get beside of him. Two or three crosses that came in when were really on top that Bowman has gone front post and has been missed out, Martin should be coming in behind to finish off but he's nowhere to be seen. Gods amount of time over recent weeks Bowman is causing havoc and the ball is dropping down into areas where Martin should be but he's nowhere near it. Why? Because he doesn't have the nous to play up front because he is not a striker. The only part you got right about him today was that he should have been taken off, after an hour at the latest. At the end of the day it's not Martins fault though. Matt Taylor is bemoaning the fact that we are not killing teams, God knows we should have been three up by half time today, but he is doing bugger all to change it. The least he should have done today was to put Matt Jay on who, although he is turning more into a midfielder these days, has the experience to go along side Bowman and play up front. Really it should been Ben Seymour. Our play was screaming out for somebody with pace to burst past their back four but it never happened. Wake up and sort it out Matt before it really starts to cost us.

STURTZ

Think we've got our defence right. Good result, as usual could have had more by half time, a Law miss was particularly disapointing. In the end we relied on an amazing save when they really should have scored.
Sorry to moan but why bring on Fisher to have two target men when we are looking to close them down and kill the game in midfield?
Bizarre,

grecIAN Harris

Off to a flyer. Drop the pace and Village Green back into it. Oh! And the ref us that poor he is making Bumbling Brett look like Pierlugi Collins.
That, of course, should have read Pierlugi Collina. Bloody pre-emptive texting.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Those first 20 minutes or so were quite breathtaking!

Match report from the club

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Those first 20 minutes or so were quite breathtaking!

Match report from the club
Ryan Bowman agrees with you.

1burnm

I have watched a lot of live football, not necessarily at Exeter City, a lot of it in the Premership and old First Division, and I can honestly say that that save is one of the best saves, if not THE best that I have seen at a football match.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Here’s the save everyone’s talking about.

Grecian2K

I'm sure that there is one overseas Grecian who'll doubtless soon be on here claiming our "Jonny" should have caught the ball!
Also, regarding the "infallible whistle man" even on the FGR forum their fans were saying he was a poor apology for a ref. So, I guess, in Pate's book, however inept he might have been be was at least even handed with his ineptitude!

grecIAN Harris

It doesn't actually look as good there as it did in real time from The Bank.