• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Derby County matchday thread

Mid Devon Grecian

You realise Aimson was playing RCB and we changed to a 4 with Sweens at RB allowing him to push on more than Aimson was?
Fair comment, although if Aimson was that RB would he carry as much attacking threat as Sweenz, I think not.

Positive spin

Last night we were up against a team full of high quality players many of whom we would only be too delighted to have in our squad but there is just no way we could afford the.
I thought City turned in a decent performance but the obvious difference was up front. They had three lovely strikes of the ball and were quick to break out whereas our attacks are so ponderous that we always seem to give our opponents time to regroup.
Still not downhearted against a team more than likely will be in the Championship next season.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
What we're saying is we don't have the players to play the style of football the manager wants us too

spodman

What we're saying is we don't have the players to play the style of football the manager wants us too
This in spades.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can we afford players who can play the style of football the manager wants to?

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can this be maintained off the back of so many wins and decent performances. Maybe it just takes a little longer to evolve as a side if you've got limited funds

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
You can be more direct in your build up play , aggressive in tackles or make it a physical game or change tactics or formation though when it’s evidently not going that well to try and bridge a gap in quality.

we don’t do that. we play one way. and at home it doesn’t work. the results and lack of goals prove that.

Derby is a free hit. it’s no surprise or big deal we lost to them, if we can nick something at Lincoln and beat Fleetwood who we owe after the disaster up there we’re nearly safe.
We couldn't really make it a physical game against them as they were bigger and stronger than us. In fact, they were physically the strongest team we've come up against this season, they looked more like a Premier League side in stature than L1. Our little team of half pint youngsters didn't really stand a chance.

Grecian Max

I feel like over the time GC has been here the vision has been muddied somewhat for me

I don't really understand what he wants to do in the final third, the build up play is fine if an atmosphere killer. I remember similar ball retention in 10/11, but we were looking to unlock teams once we got into their half.

We have some talented players, some of which look pretty frustrated. You can tell Aitchison desperately wants the ball but doesn't get played in nearly as much as he should. Regularly gets visibly irritated.

GC wanted to bring in pace on the wings, I could see where he was going with that. But this year they then cut back almost every time; this cannot be a player decision - they are being told to do this. If we were going to set up like that we may as well have kept Sparkes? He could whip a ball in from deeper positions.

The way we approach a game of football means we'll be lucky to ever see more than one or two goals in wins.

spodman

Can this be maintained off the back of so many wins and decent performances. Maybe it just takes a little longer to evolve as a side if you've got limited funds
I could only see it working long term if we had a conveyor belt of highly technical youth products coming through every two/three years and establishing themselves in the first team. You would gear everything in the academy to getting the youngsters playing in this way. I think this was the way the set-up worked under Tisdale previously. We would have to sell on the best ones and then more would come through. Will be more difficult to do this now with Plymouth investing heavily in their academy.

Grecian Max

We couldn't really make it a physical game against them as they were bigger and stronger than us. In fact, they were physically the strongest team we've come up against this season, they looked more like a Premier League side in stature than L1. Our little team of half pint youngsters didn't really stand a chance.
Some big units in their side for sure