• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Derby County matchday thread

yticretexe

On last night's showing Aimson was better than Sweeney
👆

wiveygrecian

Yes Sweeney was awful when he came on last night. Think he tried 4/5 crosses and only one got of the ground

spodman

Thought we played ok first half and were so much better than the first half last Tuesday. We moved the ball quicker than we have in most home games in the first two thirds of the pitch and opened Derby up a few times but lacked the killer instinct in the final third in terms of either pulling the trigger or playing the right final ball.

I wasn’t as impressed as most seem to be with Derby and thought Peterborough were a better team. Derby were very clinical though and took their chances well. I think they were happy to let us have the ball and pick us off on the break and you have to give Warne credit for being cute and not worrying about them dominating the ball.

Second half was more turgid from us but the early second goal would have knocked the stuffing out of us. Disappointed Cole was taken off straight after whipping in the ball of the night but imagine the data said he could only play 60 minutes!

Think a more physical and direct side would cause Derby more problems, especially hitting them on the break.

Overall not a disaster as a stand alone game but the general performances and level of attacking play in home games this season has been disappointing.

Mid Devon Grecian

On last nights performance I agree although how many times did we see Aimson in an advanced position and putting in crosses? How many corners did Aimson take?

Sweenz had an off night in terms of final ball quality but at least he was trying to create an attacking threat.

As others have said Aimson’s best position is centre of defence.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'd swap his naivety in defence for his threat going forward in a team that struggles to create chances and score goals.
agreed. But play Rankine further forward with less defensive responsibilities - to maximise his strengths and minimise his weaknesses.

yticretexe

On last nights performance I agree although how many times did we see Aimson in an advanced position and putting in crosses? How many corners did Aimson take?

Sweenz had an off night in terms of final ball quality but at least he was trying to create an attacking threat.

As others have said Aimson’s best position is centre of defence.
You realise Aimson was playing RCB and we changed to a 4 with Sweens at RB allowing him to push on more than Aimson was?

Antony Moxey

I sat in a different part of the Stanno as I was late getting tickets

Yet more nonsense being chatted behind me

I swear they seat idiots behind me deliberately
You're probably right, they group them all together in the same block...

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Most of what I thought has been said, Derby to me weren't the best side to come down but they were the best organized side, giving a high press when necessary and generally keeping their shape throughout the match allowing us possession with no effect, and catching us on the break.

First goal silly mistake by Niskanen and pisspoor defending allowing the guy to run forward and shoot with an easily savable shot which Vil did his best to mess up
Second and third goal defence caught sleeping.

This said if we had the luck of Saturday we could so easily have drawn the match with Aitchison's post Sonny's miss and Mo's double touch. I'm hoping that Mo is still not quite fit as there were a few occasions he seemed to dally more than you would have hoped and the opportunity was missed, time will tell. As for Woods he showed signs of what he is capable of and again when match fit could well be an asset.

Whilst bringing Cox on gave the impression of playing with two strikers, I did feel that Mo dropped back for Aitchison who adopted Cole's midfield position so in effect no real plan B

We are still to see Millie Vanillie play and hopefully the return of Purrington should shore up our defence, so still confident of survival and onto the summer transfer speculation!

I thought the ref was good last night except that fiasco at the start of the second half when Collins hobbled back onto the pitch to lie down and he stopped play. Are there any rules about this where the player is off the pitch and injured then hobbles on to try and stop play.

Last edited:

dontpassback

The attempted pull back by niskanen was nothing short of lamentable,if he had brought the guy down and took a yellow,they wouldn’t have gone in front,although vil didnt cover himself in glory either

denzel

The attempted pull back by niskanen was nothing short of lamentable,if he had brought the guy down and took a yellow,they wouldn’t have gone in front,although vil didnt cover himself in glory either
I think he was clearly torn between getting a yellow and hoping that they still wouldn't create a chance. If he had got a yellow that early it would have made it difficult for the rest of the game.