• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Colchester United Official Match Day Thread. 25/1/20 LD2

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm going to be in the minority here, but I thought we were lucky not to concede a penalty midway through the second half. The commentators said "there was contact, but their player when down too easily". That was touch and go I know. Other referees like friend Huxtable would have given that!
It looked like a penalty on the camera angle, but the player didn't time his going down well, it was clearly after the contact. If English refs see that they often don't give it. Ironically they are rewarding good "diving" by giving them when the player simulates better. I'm sure the ref saw the contact. Slight though it was, it was enough to impede the attacking player. The old cliches "on the halfway line it would have been given" or if "it had been a player at home and the fans claim it..." apply for this one. I still haven't seen a decision as bad as the penalty given against Christy Pym at Forest Green which cost us two points and potentially a place in the playoffs, so we're still owed stuff like this anyway :)

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm going to be in the minority here, but I thought we were lucky not to concede a penalty midway through the second half. The commentators said "there was contact, but their player when down too easily". That was touch and go I know. Other referees like friend Huxtable would have given that!
He was brushed and then lost his footing trying to make the most of it and the ref saw it for the con it was. If only refs could be that savvy more often.

PeteUSA

He was brushed and then lost his footing trying to make the most of it and the ref saw it for the con it was. If only refs could be that savvy more often.

"Brushed"? Are we talking about the same incident, Ian?

grecIAN Harris

"Brushed"? Are we talking about the same incident, Ian?
Well he wasn't pole axed in his prime to go down like fallen timber the way he did.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was more on about his distribution during the game.
His distribution was poor yesterday, he kicked 3 times straight in to touch when under no pressure. He is however an excellent defender that all lower division teams need. I'll forgive the odd slice in to touch when he never allows the centre forward to get the better of him, wins the ball at all costs, and puts in crucial blocks time and time again. Quality.

Rosencrantz

His distribution was poor yesterday, he kicked 3 times straight in to touch when under no pressure. He is however an excellent defender that all lower division teams need. I'll forgive the odd slice in to touch when he never allows the centre forward to get the better of him, wins the ball at all costs, and puts in crucial blocks time and time again. Quality.
Would be nice if Sweenz was given the same leeway with his distribution when he has an off day 😉

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Would be nice if Sweenz was given the same leeway with his distribution when he has an off day 😉
Ha. Sweenz has an off day distribution wise every week, bar yesterday! Perhaps him and Parkes swapped boots.

STURTZ

Not sure why we didn't use any subs yesterday, we've a lot of games coming up and the chance to give key players a breather must be tempting. Matt Jay for Law, Lee Martin for Ajose, Randall for Richardson could have been the changes to give us the boost we needed to get that late goal and win game. We didn't put enough pressure on Colchester "in that final third," I wouldn't blame the strikers, they didn't get the supply. Hopefully Atangana's return will give our midfield schemers a chance to get further forward and create more (personally was hoping Randall would play LWB with Williams opn the right).

andrew p long

Not sure why we didn't use any subs yesterday, we've a lot of games coming up and the chance to give key players a breather must be tempting. Matt Jay for Law, Lee Martin for Ajose, Randall for Richardson could have been the changes to give us the boost we needed to get that late goal and win game. We didn't put enough pressure on Colchester "in that final third," I wouldn't blame the strikers, they didn't get the supply. Hopefully Atangana's return will give our midfield schemers a chance to get further forward and create more (personally was hoping Randall would play LWB with Williams opn the right).
Didn’t fisher come on?

Antony Moxey

Didn’t fisher come on?
He did. For Ajose.