• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Colchester United Official Match Day Thread. 25/1/20 LD2

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’m not going to try to argue with the stats because they are what they are but it’s his wider game that seems to be lacking.

There’s nothing instinctual about what he does and he seems to need to think about what he’s going to do next before doing it. He doesn’t create space for himself or others and when he makes a five yard pass he stops to admire it before making his next move, by which time play has overtaken him.

I know he’s coming back from injury but it was the same before his lay off. I’m all for being proved wrong btw.
Fair enough- I didn’t see the cup games as they weren’t shown on iFollow so haven’t really seen enough of Fisher to comment on him as a player. I just find it interesting that his impressive goal-scoring record, albeit from only a small number of games, is so often overlooked.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
It was obviously a foul as the ref blew up and gave a yellow. But for that type of challenge, if it was a foul, then should have been red.
It was one of those moments when you could see that both players were flying in and someone was likely to get hurt. Although it was a foul as Jake got there first, i'm not sure there was anything too nasty or intentional about it.

On another note, and this may be a slightly cynical approach, i thought we should have put more pressure on Pell. He was booked early on and was the one through which a lot of their play came so i thought the likes of Law and Williams should have run at him more than they did.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Kicking into the "channels" gives you abetter chance of retaining possession than kicking it down the middle, no one is advocating deliberately kicking it into touch ! And as I said it is totally unfair to blame any player when all he is doing is carrying out the managers instructions.
Its better to play the 50% ball somewhere it's not dangerous to lose it than the 90% ball into an area you're in trouble if you get it wrong... That's usually trying to get it down the pitch near the touchline rather than straight up the middle. If you skew it or don't get enough power, you lose posession in a non-dangerous area. Obviously, it also depends how much pressure you're under, etc. At this level its lethal to overrate your footballing ability when it comes to clearing your lines.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
It was one of those moments when you could see that both players were flying in and someone was likely to get hurt. Although it was a foul as Jake got there first, i'm not sure there was anything too nasty or intentional about it.
As was Atangana's red - unfortunately highlighted the subjectivity of refereeing decisions, for which we lose a player for three matches and Colchester don't