• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Colchester United Official Match Day Thread. 25/1/20 LD2

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Such a tough one. I don't think you can leave out law as he's too potent in the final third. So that leaves Jake or Collins. I'd probably leave out Collins.
It is a tough one. I think Jake Taylor might have done enough to keep his place. Probably just depends on who is working hardest in training and the oppo..Jake and Atangana makes quite a tough midfield for us.

dontpassback

Looking at the sky highlights,Nicky Ajose was livid that Richardson didn’t cross for him,and I should think he was best pleased with Ryan bowman either !

budegrecian

It is a tough one. I think Jake Taylor might have done enough to keep his place. Probably just depends on who is working hardest in training and the oppo..Jake and Atangana makes quite a tough midfield for us.
Agree, Jake certainly did enough to retain his place. MT said, after the game, that Nicky Law was out on his feet at the end of the game & that they will have to rreview his fitness before the PV game. So my guess is he won't figure, which is not unusual as MY doesn't like to play him twice in a week.

Pobbop

We need to score goals, not sure why having a tough midfield helps that, Jake doesn't get in my first XI if everyone is fit, and I think I'd go with Jay if Law was out.

Taylor is an admirable player, but we have others better than him, which is a good position to be in IMHO.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think this games was surprisingly similar to the last couple of game and and it's amazing how much we already miss big Nigel when he's not playing. Without him we just don't seem to be able to control the midfield in quite the same way and our last 3 opponents have all ended up with more possession and territory then we would have liked. Despite this our defence have done their jobs although I was a little surprised by how much praise there has been for Colchester; for all their tidy passing they created far fewer decent chances than Grimsbly last week and arguably less than Cambridge the week before. Going forward, however badly we seem to be playing, we still seem to be able to get the ball into danger areas and create more clear-cut chances than the opposition. Yesterday was one of those days when it didn't quite fall for us in front of goal but on another day we could have scored 2 or 3.

I thought Jayden did ok and looked our most dangerous player in the second half. Just a shame he couldn't quite find the killer final ball on a couple of occasions but I'd be tempted to play him on Tuesday and give Randell a rest.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
We need to score goals, not sure why having a tough midfield helps that
Well, if you dominate the midfield, youre attacking players see more of the ball and in more space. Against Colchester, whenever we were in the final third, there was so little space, it looked more like a game of twister.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Highlights

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Happy to come away with a draw in a very hard fought game against the best team I’ve seen this season..Tom Parkes superb performance MoM
Couldn’t disagree more - I thought Parkes all over the place and constantly needing the far superior Martin’s help to get him out of trouble. His distribution, especially in the first half, was more often than not to the opposition.

Tough day for everyone though, especially the two wide players who were hopelessly ineffective. Also, would like Matt Taylor to introduce the players to Ajose - it seemed as though they didn’t know who he was or what he was there for judging by the amount of times they completely ignored him when well placed instead choosing to **** it up righteously themselves (yes Bowman, you idiot, I’m looking at you).

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Couldn’t disagree more - I thought Parkes all over the place and constantly needing the far superior Martin’s help to get him out of trouble. His distribution, especially in the first half, was more often than not to the opposition.

Tough day for everyone though, especially the two wide players who were hopelessly ineffective. Also, would like Matt Taylor to introduce the players to Ajose - it seemed as though they didn’t know who he was or what he was there for judging by the amount of times they completely ignored him when well placed instead choosing to **** it up righteously themselves (yes Bowman, you idiot, I’m looking at you).
Thought Parkes had a decent enough game, but passing was a bit off. Wouldn't fancy playing against him.

older-codger

Ajose was getting in some good positions as an out and out striker, and not just on the Bowman and Richardson occasions. It was as if the others were just not used to having someone doing that. As for Bowman in the early break, he didn't appear to have a clue what to do when he found himself in that position and decided that he had to beat the defender who was in no position to shut him down. He had ample opportunity to shoot past the keeper even if he did decide to ignore Ajose.