• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Council to fund Stadium Redevelopment?

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
And come on,give us an outline of the area that is 'an eyesore' 'needs bulldozing' and should be subject to compulsory purchase orders. A map will do or a list of street names - we may be able to work out from that how many houses you think should be knocked down. And you're also basing this on the assumption that public money would be used.
I do not have a specific list of streets at the moment, I'm more interested in promoting the concept of regeneration. It would be up to the City Council to redevelop what they want and to include new facilities that they want.

Of course public money would be used. As an example I was the former redevelopment capital accountant for Plymouth City Council and I can assure you that at one stage I was dealing with about 50 CPOs at the same time whilst the complete City Centre of Plymouth was redeveloped, plus many other areas where wartime bomb damage was heavy.

Last edited:

JohnWadd

Would just point out that Liverpool City Council do favour Everton FC heavily. I don't know why that is, the suspicion being that for some reason the last few City council leaders' have been Everton season ticket holders. The current leader, Joe Anderson, is and is now in the process of helping Everton get a new ground in the City as well. Perhaps the example of Everton and the Liverpool City Council relationship is not a comparable one for Exeter. It would be very good however if some help could be given to Exeter regarding the ground development.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Would just point out that Liverpool City Council do favour Everton FC heavily. I don't know why that is, the suspicion being that for some reason the last few City council leaders' have been Everton season ticket holders. The current leader, Joe Anderson, is and is now in the process of helping Everton get a new ground in the City as well. Perhaps the example of Everton and the Liverpool City Council relationship is not a comparable one for Exeter. It would be very good however if some help could be given to Exeter regarding the ground development.
I don't think the club has ever been able to fully engage the City Council on the advantages of having a League side in the City.... Not spending a lot of time there I was never able to understand why, but the club and its officials over the years must take the blame. There is no reason to believe that Exeter should be materially any different from many other clubs across the country, who have been able to do it successfully....

Antony Moxey

Good point Malcs. You have to wonder just why our council are seemingly unique in having virtually zero interest in its football club (other than when we draw a big club in a cup, obviously).

manc grecian

What utter tripe.

PeteUSA

What utter tripe.
Care to expand?

JohnWadd

What utter tripe.
Thanks. What a really informed comment you make!

Red Bill

What utter tripe.
Any more to say on that, or are we expected to guess why you think that to be the case?

Boyo

Good point Malcs. You have to wonder just why our council are seemingly unique in having virtually zero interest in its football club (other than when we draw a big club in a cup, obviously).
The following quote is from the Council's CEO (in our new corporate brochure - see other thread)...

“All the things we aspire to do in the city I realise the Club is doing day in day out. It reaches and engages with parts of the city others struggle to do, delivering employment, education and training and helping the Council in its quest to make Exeter the most active city in the South West.”

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Can I politely ask when Exeter City Council developed the powers of alchemy?