• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Council to fund Stadium Redevelopment?

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am well aware that pigs might fly before that happens, but why must we always be amongst the losers when it comes to Council handouts (or “investments” as Liverpool City Council prefer to call it)?

Check the link below where it shows that Liverpool Council are spending £4m on upgrading the Everton training complex. That complex (although outside Liverpool boundaries) is owned by Liverpool Council. They paid £13m for it 2 years ago, and charge Everton an annual rental of £200,000. The £4m upgrade is justified on the grounds that there will be a 3% increase in the rent, i.e. a £6,000 increase.

We currently pay Exeter City Council an annual rent of £52,000 based on the purchase price of St. James’ Park at only £800,000 back in 1996, so we have already paid them more than their original capital outlay! So, who’s getting a better deal? IT’S CERTAINLY NOT US! The Liverpool Council handout is being done despite Everton being a Premiership giant with a turnover of £125m and broadcast income alone of £82m.

Would we be prepared to pay a £6,000 increase in our rent if £4m was spent on St. James’ Park? You bet we would - even though it’s already proportionately much higher than the Everton rent! Haven’t we got anyone at the Club who can negotiate any reasonable deal with the Council using any one of a number of precedents such as this ?

Here’s the link:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-36746494

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
As a mirroring exercise, could Exeter City Council perhaps purchase the Cat and Fiddle and lease it back to us? Forget the £17m that Liverpool Council have invested in Everton, the £4m ‘upgrade’ alone would be sufficient to buy the land from the Hill family, finance an indoor training pitch and rubber crumb outside pitch, and then lease it to us. I also feel that we could certainly get a longer term, more secure lease by going along this route.

I’ve never been totally sure if local authorities could buy land outside their own boundaries, but obviously, as this example shows, they can provided it is treated as an investment. Local authority borrowing rates (from the public Works Loans Board) are at an all time low so this could be reflected in a very reasonable leasehold interest rate for us.

Is this something that the Club has considered? I very much doubt it!

AlanDevlin

Without in depth consideration, my take would be that in bailing the ground out before ECC have shown their commitment.... But with the time that has passed since, and their capital expense recovered maybe they should review the matter again.

Last edited by a moderator:

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Do we own the cat and fiddle then? If not, why would the council pay us millions of pounds?

Antony Moxey

Why would the council suddenly decide to change their tune? I think RW's opening sentence negates the need for any further discussion.

fred binneys head

I've just re-read RW's post and he is suggesting the council buy the land from the Hill family, so my previous question is redundant.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Check out the document below to see the difference in attitude in the London area for local authority financial support for football clubs. Football stadia redevelopment often acts as the catalyst/ focal point for regeneration of the area. (Perhaps Exeter City Council, in giving possible financial support to the Club, could also consider bulldozing the whole area around the football ground?! – it is after all a bit of an eyesore and it might solve a few problems!)

Stadium led regeneration projects are here to stay, and it’s a pity that our club has not got to grips with the concept. I tried briefly at the time of Drivers Jonas, suggesting to the City Council through Drivers Jonas that the Council might consider the establishment of a ‘St. James’ Village.’ This involved compulsory purchase orders but the Council indicated that they would not want to go that route at that time. Perhaps if they all studied the document below it might be an opportune time to reconsider?

The document below is a large one, and I haven’t had time to study it in detail. However, even from a cursory glance, it is apparent that any stadium redevelopment cannot (or indeed does not) be undertaken without public financing. However it appears that this is a price well worth paying when it acts as a catalyst to regenerate a whole area, so creating a multitude of benefits for that area.
Here is the link to the document. Our football Club Boards would be well advised to read it!

https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/gla_migrate_files_destination/Regeneration Committee report - The Regeneration Game_0.pdf

angelic upstart

Stadium led regeneration projects are here to stay, and it’s a pity that our club has not got to grips with the concept. I tried briefly at the time of Drivers Jonas, suggesting to the City Council through Drivers Jonas that the Council might consider the establishment of a ‘St. James’ Village.’ This involved compulsory purchase orders but the Council indicated that they would not want to go that route at that time. Perhaps if they all studied the document below it might be an opportune time to reconsider?

The document below is a large one, and I haven’t had time to study it in detail. However, even from a cursory glance, it is apparent that any stadium redevelopment cannot (or indeed does not) be undertaken without public financing. However it appears that this is a price well worth paying when it acts as a catalyst to regenerate a whole area, so creating a multitude of benefits for that area.]
This is an excellent idea, and one the club and local council should consider. The St James forum presumably wouldn't be adverse to it if properties built were family homes.

andrew p long

(Perhaps Exeter City Council, in giving possible financial support to the Club, could also consider bulldozing the whole area around the football ground?! – it is after all a bit of an eyesore and it might solve a few problems!)

the Council might consider the establishment of a ‘St. James’ Village.’ This involved compulsory purchase orders ..

The document below is a large one, and I haven’t had time to study it in detail.
Here is the link to the document. Our football Club Boards would be well advised to read it!
So you haven't read the detail but you urge others to do so?

And come on,give us an outline of the area that is 'an eyesore' 'needs bulldozing' and should be subject to compulsory purchase orders. A map will do or a list of street names - we may be able to work out from that how many houses you think should be knocked down. And you're also basing this on the assumption that public money would be used. As your OP states 'pigs will fly'!

angelic upstart

The idea of regenerating, for example, Oxford road and from the duke of York to the ground and say blackboh road to the BB entrance as at St James village with housing, and associated amenities is an excellent idea. The council may well like it as I believe they're regenerating part of Sidwell street already, this could effectively bolt on.

It's merely an idea and I think it's a good one.