• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

England v Switzerland matchday thread

DJH2005

If thats the best we can put out, IMO its not good enuf and it will not qualify.
We'll qualify no problems at all.

Then the media hype will begin, England are suddenly world beaters, only to struggle past the first group stage and leave the comp at the next round.

Cue Steve Scott, Natalie Perks et al having huge delight in disembowelling the England camp over the next 3 days.

We're a mediocre national team, nothing more. Not yet anyway, maybe in a few years.

Well-known Exeweb poster
We'll qualify no problems at all. .
I'm really glad your confident, cos barring Rooney and gerald I believe that was cap's proffered team out 2 nite, now that's just a touch scary. Hart looked shakey, cant blame him though really with the feel of that Defence, who were well at fault for both Swiss goal's. Midfield had no energy was out fought, offensively and defensively out played, and the attack, well they did, didnt they? just with , barring young, no effective pace or power. And lets not forget, we weren't exactly up against a European powerhouse, it was Switzerland, ffs.
I'm really beginning to think cap's f*cked it up so badly what with the w/c the capt's issue's ect ect it's beyond repair, if he had any feel for the job,imo, he would resign, but abso' no chance he's just another money grabbing mercenary, and a fine example of poor decision making from the FA.

downthetrack

Iwould have played Daniel Sturridge up front.
been on fire at Bolton

Athelstan

Apparently the turnstile operators were having trouble scanning in the tickets or something.
I went to the game and started queuing at entrance L (for the upper tier west) a good 30-40 minutes before kick-off but only just made it to my seat as the players were kicking off. The scanners at the automatic ticket gates were just not working on most of the tickets and the stewards did not seem to know what to do other than to get the next person in the queue to try their ticket, usually with the same result. In the end two or three people were going through the turnstiles at a time on the rare occasions the scanners worked, so god knows how accurate the official attendance figure was. When I finally got in I could see hundreds of fans still stuck outside in the queues. A lot of people were getting quite angry. I really think they should have delayed the kick off - some fans were still taking their seats half an hour after kick-off and not because they had turned up at the last minute. The lower and upper tiers did look more or less full during the second half, but there were plenty of empty seats in the middle tier.

I thought Wilshere and Baines played well. By the way, nice to see an ECFC flag above the giant screen in level 5 east - who was that? [ecfc]

Harry Redknapp's nanna would score that one Bent missed.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Further proof, if any were needed that the players are not interested, only when we went 2 zip down and they started to imagine the newspaper headlines in the morning (the Saps are still afraid of the press!) did they show any sign of urgency.
Unlike in France, nothing has been learnt from the debacle of last years world cup. Same old, tired worn out, club obsessed millionaires going through the motions before their 'hard earned' holibobs in the sun.As usual a collection of average players in the Swiss made our national team look like what they are, a bunch of dis-interested strangers managed by a has-been on his last big pay-day.
I hear we have a friendly against the Dutch in early August...what is the point?
This game will have a whole host of withdrawals from the elite English clubs and their respective managers whinging as usual!
Rather like the national team`s style of play,it`s all so gloriously predictable, thank God for ECFC, a proper club with proper fans and a group of players who know how to put a shift in for the shirt!

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
I'm really glad your confident, cos barring Rooney and gerald I believe that was cap's proffered team out 2 nite
If Scott Parker is in any preferred England line-up, we're in serious trouble.............

elginCity

Same old, tired worn out, club obsessed millionaires going through the motions
Exactly as I saw it.

The whole 'Engerlund' thing needs a big overhaul, consign '66 to history, play an English national anthem beforehand, shoot that pathetic 'band', drop Lampard, Terry, Cole, Gerrard and Ferdinand permanently, stop stupidly paying foreign mercenaries £100k+ a week to watch premsh*t games on expenses, only to pick a bunch of strangers.

The national team represent this country; tired, worn out and living on past glories. Depressing stuff.

downthetrack

worn out and living on past glories. Depressing stuff.
Past glories what ones are those then,apart from 66

StroudGrecian

If Scott Parker is in any preferred England line-up, we're in serious trouble.............
You're right there Hersch, Parker was triffic for the Hammers last season by virtue of him playing two midfield roles simultaneously: the hard-tackling ball winner and the creative defence-splitting passer, and West Ham revolved around him.

I thought he had a good game yesterday as the spoiler but his distribution was woeful, having won/recieved the ball always trying to find the killer pass when the short pass was all that was needed. He continually gave the ball back to the Swiss. Lack of movement up front didn't help him mind.