• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Do you want to go up?

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bite your arm off up to the shoulder, a club our size need to sieze every opportunity
Totally agree then maybe just maybe the Board will look realistically at what they need to do to support Tis and help keep us up so that we can consolidate at that level. Tis has his faults but he is not a bad manager. He is a builder and a nurturer would need real financial support to help him and the team maintain League One status. League One brings more TV money as well as the prospect of better away followings and more coffers in the bank. All of which we will need if as a club we are ever going to grow and progress.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree we would need to get League One standard players in. But that in itself may cause us problems. What we do not want and cannot afford is to finish in the relegation zone of League One next season with 3 to 5 players on two years contracts at League One wage levels. I doubt that anyone half decent would come here on a 1 year contract.
You'd be surprised how much bumf containing the names of released players thuds down on league managers desks toward the end of season. OK, if you strike while the iron's hot you get the pick of the crop and pay accordingly. However, some managers working within financial straits tend to hang back and sign the best available just weeks before the start of season, thus putting themselves in a position of power when discussing terms with players that maybe fearful of becoming clubless.

Grecian_In_Exile

Very well known Exeweb poster
Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th
Totally agree then maybe just maybe the Board will look realistically at what they need to do to support Tis and help keep us up so that we can consolidate at that level. Tis has his faults but he is not a bad manager. He is a builder and a nurturer would need real financial support to help him and the team maintain League One status. League One brings more TV money as well as the prospect of better away followings and more coffers in the bank. All of which we will need if as a club we are ever going to grow and progress.
Exactly my hope too, The board need to look at themselves as a collective unit, and decide whether they can help the manager take this club forward. The City of Exeter is a growing entity, one of the few currently in the Country, our club should be able to grow with it, the rugby club certainly are. If the answer is no, then they need to step aside, and allow somebody in, who can & will. Properly & positively sold, our club should be able to attract the right people on board (excuse the pun), to take this club to the next level, that being a League 1 club, looking to go up to the next level, and then beyond.

FAN-TATIC

You'd be surprised how much bumf containing the names of released players thuds down on league managers desks toward the end of season. OK, if you strike while the iron's hot you get the pick of the crop and pay accordingly. However, some managers working within financial straits tend to hang back and sign the best available just weeks before the start of season, thus putting themselves in a position of power when discussing terms with players that maybe fearful of becoming clubless.
Now, that's interesting Stuffy. "Players that may be fearful of becoming without a club."

What about some players that we already have? Do they want promotion or are they fearful that if we are promoted they will be without a club at the end of the season due to the fact that they are OK for League Two but not good enough for League One.

Just a thought like. Cynical me!:cool:

Last edited:

IndoMike

Now, that's interesting Stuffy. "Players that may be fearful of becoming without a club."

What about some players that we already have? Do they want promotion or are they fearful that if we are promoted they will be without a club at the end of the season due to the fact that they are OK for League Two but not good enough for League One.

Just a thought like. Cynical me!:cool:
So your question is : "Do the players wanna go up ?"

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Funny you should say that. Some years ago a player (who's name and club I'd only whisper in your ear) admitted to blasting the ball over the bar in a game his club could've won. He was fearful that in a higher league the club would let him go, meaning on going to another club he'd have to sell his house and take his kids out of school.

FAN-TATIC

So your question is : "Do the players wanna go up ?"
Not quite Mike. More like, do ALL the players want us to go up? My honest opinion is that they ALL do. Stuffy's post just got my imagination ticking over and a little mischievous thought made it's way in there somehow.

MikeGrecian

Of course i want us to go up.I want a big a gulf as possible between us and the BSP.

hatch4england

It would be a big risk. With the exception of Gow, our good players (those capable of competing at L1 level) are right at the end of their careers. Gosling (and possible Dawson) are the only 'yoof' that look up to standard and they are a year or so away.

So, a major team rebuild required. That, and the standard of play (anyone's guess)....

We'd have more chance of sticking there were we to go up with the older players a couple of years younger than they are and the younger ones a couple of years older.

On the other hand, we'll need a bit of rebuild anyway....

grecIAN Harris

I can't understand the logic of anybody who doesn't want to go up. Although we've had a few in recent years, promotions are generally few and far between in the life of an average City fan. If we go up and come back down then so be it. Better to have loved and lost than not love at all.