• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Diego Maradona film

ex_user1234

Resigned
Pure unadulterated bliss...

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Seeing him play "coked out of his head" in the 1994 finals was not a pretty sight.

Legohead

Banned
Seeing him play "coked out of his head" in the 1994 finals was not a pretty sight.
I agree with that too. That footage of him scoring and then screaming nodding into the camera is a bit embarrassing but why would he care? He was high as a kite!

ex_user1234

Resigned
I agree with that too. That footage of him scoring and then screaming nodding into the camera is a bit embarrassing but why would he care? He was high as a kite!
He was a shadow of his former self then. A fallen great. We should judge him on his peak in the 80s.

IndoMike

Messi is as skilful as Maradona but he hasn't:

- won the World Cup, let alone won it singlehandedly

- won a league title with a mediocre team that has never won a championship, let alone won it singlehandedly

- scored the best goal of all time

Maradona has done all three!!!
I agree he was better than Messi.
Amazing footballer, but like many players who grew up in poverty, he found it difficult to handle the fame and fortune. .
He surrounded himself with hangers -on like Elvis. And look what happened to Elvis.
I saw that awful tackle by the At Bilbao player Goikotchea on Maradonna: a tackle designed to put Maradonna out of the game. It did, for almost a year. I believe Maradonna was never the same person after that.

Alistair20000

Couldn't bring myself to watch Diego Muthafunker in anything other than a grave.
I am with you on this one mate except I don’t wish him dead.

The hand of God ? Nah, the hand of a cheating count would be more accurate

ex_user1234

Resigned
I agree he was better than Messi.
Amazing footballer, but like many players who grew up in poverty, he found it difficult to handle the fame and fortune. .
He surrounded himself with hangers -on like Elvis. And look what happened to Elvis.
I saw that awful tackle by the At Bilbao player Goikotchea on Maradonna: a tackle designed to put Maradonna out of the game. It did, for almost a year. I believe Maradonna was never the same person after that.
That's in the film, Mike. I really recommend watching it. You're right it was a horrific tackle. What's amazing looking at the footage from back then is just how often and how heinously Maradona got fouled. But he just kept getting up. Messi gets 100x more protection from refs compared to Maradona. Quite rightly, too.

ex_user1234

Resigned
I am with you on this one mate except I don’t wish him dead.

The hand of God ? Nah, the hand of a cheating count would be more accurate
I don't think he did it deliberately - it was pure instinct. Should he have told the referee he used his hand? Sure. But how many players these days are honest about penalties, free-kicks or corners? Not many. Everyone tries to con the ref. At least he admitted he cheated. I'm not excusing his behaviour, but perhaps it's not as bad in retrospect as we felt at the time. Yes, it still hurts as Mexico 86 is my favourite World Cup, but it's one incident in Maradona's sensational career and realistically we probably wouldn't have won the match at 1-1, let alone the World Cup.

Alistair20000

I don't think he did it deliberately - it was pure instinct. Should he have told the referee he used his hand? Sure. But how many players these days are honest about penalties, free-kicks or corners? Not many. Everyone tries to con the ref. At least he admitted he cheated. I'm not excusing his behaviour, but perhaps it's not as bad in retrospect as we felt at the time. Yes, it still hurts as Mexico 86 is my favourite World Cup, but it's one incident in Maradona's sensational career and realistically we probably wouldn't have won the match at 1-1, let alone the World Cup.
I read that in 2005 he fessed up to it being deliberate. 19 years too late. He lied about it at the time in 1986.

Firmly on my list of counts.

IndoMike

That's in the film, Mike. I really recommend watching it. You're right it was a horrific tackle. What's amazing looking at the footage from back then is just how often and how heinously Maradona got fouled. But he just kept getting up. Messi gets 100x more protection from refs compared to Maradona. Quite rightly, too.
Agreed. Goikotchea launched himself at Maradonna with a vicious 2- footed tackle. If I'm not mistaken G was banned for several, but not enough, games as a result,
George Best was also badly treated : I saw a full length photo of him in his knickers and his body was black and blue all over
Pele in 1966 was also brutalised by the Hungarian team, which put him out of the World Cup. One thing is to be a hard man, but when it goes too far it is cowardly