• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Diego Maradona film

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't think he did it deliberately - it was pure instinct. Should he have told the referee he used his hand? Sure. But how many players these days are honest about penalties, free-kicks or corners? Not many. Everyone tries to con the ref. At least he admitted he cheated. I'm not excusing his behaviour, but perhaps it's not as bad in retrospect as we felt at the time. Yes, it still hurts as Mexico 86 is my favourite World Cup, but it's one incident in Maradona's sensational career and realistically we probably wouldn't have won the match at 1-1, let alone the World Cup.
Who knows eh , what if?
But that unsavoury incident will always rankle with me , and I’ll forever dislike the git because of it.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I don't think he did it deliberately - it was pure instinct. Should he have told the referee he used his hand? Sure. But how many players these days are honest about penalties, free-kicks or corners? Not many. Everyone tries to con the ref. At least he admitted he cheated. I'm not excusing his behaviour, but perhaps it's not as bad in retrospect as we felt at the time. Yes, it still hurts as Mexico 86 is my favourite World Cup, but it's one incident in Maradona's sensational career and realistically we probably wouldn't have won the match at 1-1, let alone the World Cup.
He himself called it the hand of god and is now part of Argie history, there are probably instructions left for when he does die the hand to be enshrined somewhere like some bloody religious relic !
Of course he did it deliberately he knew before that he wasn't going to put the ball in the net any other way but then to carry on in interviews afterwards telling the world it was divine intervention was worse than the cheating itself.
Who's to say we wouldn't have won ? Because if the inept ref Nasser had ruled it handball he would have been sent off.
I hope he dies in agony and when he does I for one will be having a good ol sing song and a few beers ! KCUF HIM.

fred binneys head

His hand was on top of his head and he was about 3 foot 6. I blame Shilton 100%, watch him as he comes for the ball, pathetic.

Alistair20000

His hand was on top of his head and he was about 3 foot 6. I blame Shilton 100%, watch him as he comes for the ball, pathetic.
You are Pate and I claim my £5

fred binneys head

You are Pate and I claim my £5
Nah, watch the film. The fact that he later went on to manage Argyle has had no impact on my judgement of that incident.

grecianstew

Greatest ever player is probably a thread in it’s own, but to pick up on a topic from earlier, Messi is not even the best player of his own generation let alone best ever. A flat track bully who excels when surrounded by world class players but invisible on the world stage.
Maradonna is rightfully on a shortlist of 2 in modernish times, though my Dad always tells me Puskas was as good and I’m quite sure George Best would have featured if he represented one of the challenging nations.

Rosencrantz

If that was Kevin Miller the ball would have going towards the halfway line and Diego would have been having to be dug out of the pitch. He would have been too groggy to score that second 😉.

ex_user1234

Resigned
It's a fair point. How on earth did Maradona outjump Shilton? Shilton went to punch it also, so it's not like they weren't competing like for like.

ex_user1234

Resigned
He himself called it the hand of god and is now part of Argie history, there are probably instructions left for when he does die the hand to be enshrined somewhere like some bloody religious relic !
Of course he did it deliberately he knew before that he wasn't going to put the ball in the net any other way but then to carry on in interviews afterwards telling the world it was divine intervention was worse than the cheating itself.
Who's to say we wouldn't have won ? Because if the inept ref Nasser had ruled it handball he would have been sent off.
I hope he dies in agony and when he does I for one will be having a good ol sing song and a few beers ! KCUF HIM.
Haha, fair enough. I think we should also take the Hand of God comment in context of being not that long after the Falklands War. Maradona says in the film that he viewed it at the time as revenge for his country being humiliated on the world stage (he describes the "score" from the Falklands War as England 20 Argentina 0). I know others disagree, but he is only human and I think a bit of forgiveness is reasonable after 34 years.

IndoMike

To be honest, the ref must have been pretty thick to think that Maradonna could outjump a keeper with arm raised.
At least Maradonna said that he could only have scored his 2nd goal against England : any other team would have scythed him down on his run.
It hurts, but is too far in the past to worry about now