• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Contracts for next season

older-codger

As I understand it, Cam's current contract expires at the end of the 23/24 season. From Wednesday's point of view, would they be willing to loan him to us for another season, 22/23. presuming they are meeting part of his wages, only to find that 4 months or so later he would be free to negotiate with someone else and leave for free in 2024? They would have been subsidising his wages for 2 years, have him available for just one season and leaving with no return.

Their only alternative would be to agree a new contract, but would Cam want to do that without some confirmation that he will be No. 1 which on current evidence seems unlikely?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I gather that Cam had loan offers from League One clubs but Wednesday didn't accept them so presumably they don't want him playing for a league rival. Whether they would see us as a rival or not is another question 😀
After we beat Wednesday at Hillsborough in 2011 we attempted to enter a local pub. The bouncer kindly informed us that would not be wise. Their fans definitely considered us rivals that day 😂

Memphis09

As I understand it, Cam's current contract expires at the end of the 23/24 season. From Wednesday's point of view, would they be willing to loan him to us for another season, 22/23. presuming they are meeting part of his wages, only to find that 4 months or so later he would be free to negotiate with someone else and leave for free in 2024? They would have been subsidising his wages for 2 years, have him available for just one season and leaving with no return.

Their only alternative would be to agree a new contract, but would Cam want to do that without some confirmation that he will be No. 1 which on current evidence seems unlikely?
We must not stop the progress of Harry Lee so a further season loan would do

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
As others have said getting Cam back next season is slim at best. Even the option of another loan I would argue is equally slim given the multitude of other clubs who could offer higher loan fees as well as higher weekly wages. If Wednesday were to get promoted there would probably be about 18 teams in league one who could better any terms we could offer. Therefore, I just cant see it happening unless Cam himself wants to continue the journey and Wednesday somehow are agreeable.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
As others have said getting Cam back next season is slim at best. Even the option of another loan I would argue is equally slim given the multitude of other clubs who could offer higher loan fees as well as higher weekly wages. If Wednesday were to get promoted there would probably be about 18 teams in league one who could better any terms we could offer. Therefore, I just cant see it happening unless Cam himself wants to continue the journey and Wednesday somehow are agreeable.
Cam has a contract with Wednesday and, therefore, his wages are assured. Not unthinkable that if the Owls are willing for him to go out on loan for another season that, from his perspective at least, he might be very happy were that to be at a League One Exeter. Certainly, it ain't gonna inconvenience him financially.

Bridgy 81

After we beat Wednesday at Hillsborough in 2011 we attempted to enter a local pub. The bouncer kindly informed us that would not be wise. Their fans definitely considered us rivals that day 😂
We saw Richard Duffy after that game where we’d parked our car, in what was like an industrial area.
He was with someone else, was that when he was banned from driving?
Anyway we asked him whether he’d be with us the next season but he was non-committal.

Grecianpasty

The only way I see us having Cam back at City next season is if Wednesday get promoted. Even then, I'd imagine there would be some league one clubs willing to pay at least half of his wages. Which we simply won't.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cam has a contract with Wednesday and, therefore, his wages are assured. Not unthinkable that if the Owls are willing for him to go out on loan for another season that, from his perspective at least, he might be very happy were that to be at a League One Exeter. Certainly, it ain't gonna inconvenience him financially.
I wouldn't disagree Egg. However, as is often cited there are three parties to satisfy in every transfer/loan. My thinking was along the lines of Exeter City competing with say Ipswich and Portsmouth. All three clubs could well be League One clubs but (accept these figures are purely for speculative purposes) lets say our offer on the table for Sheff Wed is a loan fee for the year of £10,000 and a contribution to wages of £3,000 a week. This is at the top end of what we could afford and still means Sheff Wed forking out £350,000 and ourselves £150,000 of Cam's wages. If Ipswich offer £50,000 and £4,000 a week and Portsmouth £75,000 and £5,000 a week I cant see us being the favoured club.

older-codger

It just doesn't make sense for Wednesday to subsidise his wages for another season merely to retain his services for one season before losing him on a free. They may as well make him available for transfer at. the end of this season and cash in on him.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm surprised by the assumption that Dawson will definitely be surplus to requirements at Wednesday. I still think there must be a reasonable chance he might be first choice next season.