• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Contracts for next season

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
You are I think right on the money with your analysis. I agree about Ray I think he is a solid enough L2 player as is Jonathan Grounds. The latter, age and recent injuries will hasten his departure although he has been an excellent squad player for us. Regards Ray I think he will seek an alternative rather than being 5th choice Centre Half with a year left on his contract. I cant see him being at pre-season training unless basically no other club fancies him.
It could be seen as even more premature but the issue relating to contracts will be a real challenge the following year. The season after next (assuming we dont receive acceptable offers this summer) many of our key players will be out of contract including Jevani and Stubbsy. Also Sweenz and Josh Key. Pretty much all our defence! I also think Sparkes can be added to the list from memory. I appreciate many will say that's way too far into the future but if some cant be persuaded to sign new contracts this summer we will have critical players leaving on free transfers (accepting Key and Sparkes will be compensation tribunals)
I knew I'd forgotten someone. I presume Grounds is only on a one year contract so is likely to be leaving this summer as well.

Cowshed Grecian

From the outside and being a supporter for 30 years this is so exciting in the way the club are moving forward. Credit where credit is due. All our players whom make our best 11 are under contract for at least another year, and the club has been very quick Eg with Dieng,Kite and hartridge to ensure this. I Would expect to see Grounds,Daniel, Antangana and Seymour being released. Ray will probably be asked to find another club or go out on loan. I hear Javani wants to stay unless a club from around the London/South East area made a substantial offer for him, Stubbs needs to stay fit before he makes a step up.We’ve got Lee, Pond,Johnson and Sonny coming through. Key may leave, but Johnson is very similar to him. If we can get another quality LWB and a striker in....I’m really backing us to be strong in League 1

Bridgy 81

From the outside and being a supporter for 30 years this is so exciting in the way the club are moving forward. Credit where credit is due. All our players whom make our best 11 are under contract for at least another year, and the club has been very quick Eg with Dieng,Kite and hartridge to ensure this. I Would expect to see Grounds,Daniel, Antangana and Seymour being released. Ray will probably be asked to find another club or go out on loan. I hear Javani wants to stay unless a club from around the London/South East area made a substantial offer for him, Stubbs needs to stay fit before he makes a step up.We’ve got Lee, Pond,Johnson and Sonny coming through. Key may leave, but Johnson is very similar to him. If we can get another quality LWB and a striker in....I’m really backing us to be strong in League 1
Agreed. But I think we need more than one new striker in. 3 of our current 4 will be leaving in the summer.

Cowshed Grecian

Agreed. But I think we need more than one new striker in. 3 of our current 4 will be leaving in the summer.
True, but then we will still have loans. And the potential for better loanees being in League 1

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
As you say Cowshed these are exciting times. Having seen how Cheltenham and Cambridge have been competitive after promotion last season I feel we will be equally able to hold our own - assuming we sign the two strikers and a quality keeper we need and keep the rest of our first team. The only divergence I have with your excellent assessment is the bit about Ellis Johnson being able to step into Josh Key's shoes. Personally not sure he has what it takes to be retained next season let alone take on the big shoes of Josh - that will be Caprice :)

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
As you say Cowshed these are exciting times. Having seen how Cheltenham and Cambridge have been competitive after promotion last season I feel we will be equally able to hold our own - assuming we sign the two strikers and a quality keeper we need and keep the rest of our first team. The only divergence I have with your excellent assessment is the bit about Ellis Johnson being able to step into Josh Key's shoes. Personally not sure he has what it takes to be retained next season let alone take on the big shoes of Josh - that will be Caprice :)
While Cheltenham and Cambridge offer positive examples, the struggles of Crewe this season are a warning of what can happen if you sell too many players too quickly.

Christian

Agreed....Johnson is still only 19 and I'm not sure he is a ready made replacement yet...He is still learning the game!

Cowshed Grecian

You might be right there with Johnson, personally I’ve been very impressed with him whenever I’ve seen the U23’s play. This season it has been him and Calum who stood out for me. He’s very like Key, agree Caprice is an adequate replacement. I wonder if Harry is earmarked as the no 1 next season. He’s going on 18 he’s a huge talent, he’s been around the first team since he was 15. Being a GK is a bit different physicality wise than other positions.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nigel, Daniel, Seymour to go, maybe Grounds will decide to call it a day on his playing career himself….Sam Nombe’s fitness is unreliable so we’ll need two new strikers whatever league we’re in next season.

Number13

GK is the biggest issue - be a huge ask to expect an 18 year old to be No1 in a side that will be under the cosh in L1 next year. Anyone know how long Cam has on his Sheff Wed deal and whether they ever want him back? Could be we get him for another year but we'd have to stump up some more wages I guess