• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Clubs agree salary cap for L1 and L2

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not the biggest fan of the PFA and it's clear they have a vested interest in keeping players' wages as high as possible. However, the report they produced yesterday was a very thorough and damning indictment of this salary cap; I found it hard to disagree with any of their arguments.

Ash

I'm all for collective bargaining and Trades Unions in general, but the PFA are a bunch of self gratificationERS.

Ash

I'm all for collective bargaining and Trades Unions in general, but the PFA are a bunch of self gratificationERS.
Hmm, not sure why that was shown in full, I was expecting a redaction!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Hmm, not sure why that was shown in full, I was expecting a redaction!
Fixed 😊

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm all for collective bargaining and Trades Unions in general, but the PFA are a bunch of ****ERS.
Just as well they were there a few seasons ago when they paid our players wages

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
They have the same transition period for existing contracts to be capped at the "agreed divisional average' until the contract runs out. It is a form of parachute deal in a way and probably not perfect but the best way of not having relegated clubs tearing up contracts.
Surely the best way would be to have a 25 or 30% relegation wage drop in each player's contract.
Gordon Taylor is so out of touch he might as well live on the moon.

Rosencrantz

Surely the best way would be to have a 25 or 30% relegation wage drop in each player's contract.
It would make sense but it would depend on who was putting the clause in the player's contracts. There is nothing to stop clubs doing that now, but how many are or are willing to? And how many players are accepting it in their contracts? There is obviously no traction in this at all so far from clubs as it is a battle to offer better contracts in order to attract the best players. Unfortunately expecting clubs to be self regulating is a bit of a pipe dream.

If you mean it should be standard across all contracts in the EFL, I suspect the PFA would be rushing to the courts again pronto. As it is the EFL are restricting the clubs on how much they pay a squad, not individuals, although the PFA will say they are having an indirect influence. By making it mandatory the EFL could be said to have a direct influence on individual players contracts.

LOG

Wouldn't it be fairly standard practice* for contracts to already have relegation clauses in them the same as, but the other way around to, promotion clauses which increase wages?

*Except at Sunderland

Rosencrantz

Wouldn't it be fairly standard practice* for contracts to already have relegation clauses in them the same as, but the other way around to, promotion clauses which increase wages?

*Except at Sunderland
I am not sure how standard it would be. I expect it could well vary player to player let alone club to club. Remember, this is football, don't expect common sense to come into it. Clubs are forever looking upwards to entice players to them, not many players and agents will be asking about relegation unless it's to make sure there is a clause to get them out of there.

LOG

I am not sure how standard it would be. I expect it could well vary player to player let alone club to club. Remember, this is football, don't expect common sense to come into it. Clubs are forever looking upwards to entice players to them, not many players and agents will be asking about relegation unless it's to make sure there is a clause to get them out of there.
That's a very good point! My limited experience in the business of football has taught me that pretty much everything costs more than you think it would!