• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Clubs agree salary cap for L1 and L2

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
How will it work for a L1 club relegated to L2, with a budget commitment of say £2m? Presumably the would have a year or two grace to allow contracts to expire, but would they be allowed to sign anyone in that time?
They have the same transition period for existing contracts to be capped at the "agreed divisional average' until the contract runs out. It is a form of parachute deal in a way and probably not perfect but the best way of not having relegated clubs tearing up contracts.

LOG

Haven't followed that very closely but IINM someone said Charlton would be suing the EFL about that.
Charlton should probably concentrate on getting their own house in order first.

Boyo

They have the same transition period for existing contracts to be capped at the "agreed divisional average' until the contract runs out. It is a form of parachute deal in a way and probably not perfect but the best way of not having relegated clubs tearing up contracts.
Thank you. I still don't really get it though. If a L1 Club gets relegated with a budget of £2m, so 20 players each earning £100k and they all have a year left on the contract, what happens?

IndoMike

Charlton should probably concentrate on getting their own house in order first.

Yes. Looks like it. If you look.under the carpet in football there's a lot of sh*t swept under it. What is it with football?

Rosencrantz

Thank you. I still don't really get it though. If a L1 Club gets relegated with a budget of £2m, so 20 players each earning £100k and they all have a year left on the contract, what happens?
They still get paid what they are contracted to by the club but for salary cap purposes it is reported at a lower amount agreed as a L2 average wage, for example £75k. In effect their budget will still be £2m using your example but counted at £1.5m for salary cap purposes (using £75k as the example). It would mean they would have no room to bring anyone in before they shifted players out but any new players contracts would have to count in full for the salary cap.

Sorry if I haven't explained that well!

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I actually agree with Anton here. :eek:

While the economic ****storm resulting from Covd is only just beginning to hit (even the hundreds of thousands who have already lost their jobs are only the very top of a huge iceberg of those, still on furlough, who are merely waiting for the inevitable axe to fall once Sunak's 'largesse' is withdrawn. football (especially at the highest level) seems smugly cocooned n its own cost little bubble.

I am finding the ridiculous figures being 'spaffed' by some of the Premier League clubs, often on fairly mediocre targets, particularly 'obscene' in the current circumstances. As far as I'm concerned the PL is total carp and I hope some of the clubs (greedy Chelski in particular after the Ethan smash and grap) hit the wall especially hard when reality kicks in, funding disappears and the gravy train careers of the rails and into a brick wall.

(Mind you, if Ollie manages to go for squillions BEFORE this financial apocalypse I won't be complaining! :p )
Absolutely right G2K. £40 mill for Ake just 1 example

Meanwhile the FA have made 125 redundancies to save £75 mill a year and no doubt all county FAs will be doing similar on a smaller scale, and FA Cup prize money is being halved. Utter madness

IndoMike

Absolutely right G2K. £40 mill for Ake just 1 example

Meanwhile the FA have made 125 redundancies to save £75 mill a year and no doubt all county FAs will be doing similar on a smaller scale, and FA Cup prize money is being halved. Utter madness
Arsenal making 50+ staff redundant.

Boyo

They still get paid what they are contracted to by the club but for salary cap purposes it is reported at a lower amount agreed as a L2 average wage, for example £75k. In effect their budget will still be £2m using your example but counted at £1.5m for salary cap purposes (using £75k as the example). It would mean they would have no room to bring anyone in before they shifted players out but any new players contracts would have to count in full for the salary cap.

Sorry if I haven't explained that well!
Thank you - that's making sense.

ryancooper327

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good, about time. Rather like in our Conference days it gets beyond tedious when some wideboy with dreams of an FA Cup tie against a Premier League club so he can lord it in their board room on match day only for it to not happen so the bugger off taking their ‘loan’ with them and leaving the club £5M in debt and restarting five divisions lower.

This should have happened years ago and should happen throughout football. Most US sporting leagues manage it just fine, including the NFL where a half BILLION dollar contract has just been awarded. Rugby seems to manage too - Chiefs have had to release players to sign others because of salary cap rules, it’s about time football joined the real world too.
I completely agree with the sentiments about money in football. However, there are already rules in place to try and improve financial sustainability. Why not adapt and better enforce the current SCMP rules rather than introduce a rushed and badly thought-through salary cap. If the EFL can't enforce the rules you already have what makes them think they will be able to enforce the new rules any better. Also, as the PFA pointed out yesterday the EFL have not made it clear how they think this salary cap will in practice actually make the situation any better or how they have chosen the wage levels for the cap. As for the comparisons with American sport it's worth remembering that their system is deliberately non-meritocratic with no promotion and relegation and a draft that is designed to try and make teams as even as possible.