• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Clubs agree salary cap for L1 and L2

Boyo

Does the cap apply only to players aged over 21? I thought that was the intention, but I can't see any mention of it.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Who's going to police it?
I expect the EFL will oversee it, with their usual brand of effectiveness.
Or
To put it another way
WE'RE DOOMED!!!!

Alistair20000

You cannot buck the market.

Watch for inventive (cunning ?) ways round any rules that are brought in.

Antony Moxey

Good, about time. Rather like in our Conference days it gets beyond tedious when some wideboy with dreams of an FA Cup tie against a Premier League club so he can lord it in their board room on match day only for it to not happen so the bugger off taking their ‘loan’ with them and leaving the club £5M in debt and restarting five divisions lower.

This should have happened years ago and should happen throughout football. Most US sporting leagues manage it just fine, including the NFL where a half BILLION dollar contract has just been awarded. Rugby seems to manage too - Chiefs have had to release players to sign others because of salary cap rules, it’s about time football joined the real world too.

IndoMike

Did City vote in favour of or against this salary cap?. If they voted in favour I'm in favour and if they voted against it then I'm against it. I assume the former. I trust the club to know what is best for City
Ali raises the point that some clubs will try to get around this cap. It's difficult to.imagine that the Football League will have the competence to monitor the financial activity of 72 Football League clubs: rugby union couldn't even do that with just 12 Premier League clubs

Grecian2K

I actually agree with Anton here. :eek:

While the economic ****storm resulting from Covd is only just beginning to hit (even the hundreds of thousands who have already lost their jobs are only the very top of a huge iceberg of those, still on furlough, who are merely waiting for the inevitable axe to fall once Sunak's 'largesse' is withdrawn. football (especially at the highest level) seems smugly cocooned n its own cost little bubble.

I am finding the ridiculous figures being 'spaffed' by some of the Premier League clubs, often on fairly mediocre targets, particularly 'obscene' in the current circumstances. As far as I'm concerned the PL is total carp and I hope some of the clubs (greedy Chelski in particular after the Ethan smash and grap) hit the wall especially hard when reality kicks in, funding disappears and the gravy train careers of the rails and into a brick wall.

(Mind you, if Ollie manages to go for squillions BEFORE this financial apocalypse I won't be complaining! :p )

Grecian2K

Mike.

Talking of enforcement I did note that the authorities "came down hard" on Sheff Wednesday the other day, with a points deduction for "fiddling the books" over the "sale" of the ground to try and get round the existing fair play rules.

Mind you, in a typical EFL fudge the resulting points deduction has been deferred to next season, thus avoiding the relegation that it would have otherwise invoked.

Bodes really well for the future, doesn't it?

Boyo

How will it work for a L1 club relegated to L2, with a budget commitment of say £2m? Presumably the would have a year or two grace to allow contracts to expire, but would they be allowed to sign anyone in that time?

Rosencrantz

You cannot buck the market.

Watch for inventive (cunning ?) ways round any rules that are brought in.
No doubt the bonus payments will be looked at carefully by those who want to. I feel the EFL are seeing the "other fees and expenses paid directly or indirectly to all registered players" doing a lot of heavy lifting. The sanctions will need to stand up more strongly than they currently are. I can see some owners taking the financial hit of any fine so really they need to be looking at significant points deductions.

As discussed before and mentioned elsewhere, an independent body with regulatory powers would be better to administer this and the owners and directors tests.

Overall it doesn't seem to have too big a consequence on our own budget and should level out competition to some point eventually. As Olds pointed out, there was always going to have to be a kind of transition period to see out existing contracts and whenever this was brought in, some flush owners would look to stock up and take any advantage they could.

I am slightly surprised a majority of clubs have voted this through. You would think clubs like Sunderland, Ipswich and other bigger clubs in League One particularly would be against it as well as clubs like Argyle and Peterborough. I wonder if it was a separate league vote or all clubs in League One and Two together?

IndoMike

Mike.

Talking of enforcement I did note that the authorities "came down hard" on Sheff Wednesday the other day, with a points deduction for "fiddling the books" over the "sale" of the ground to try and get round the existing fair play rules.

Mind you, in a typical EFL fudge the resulting points deduction has been deferred to next season, thus avoiding the relegation that it would have otherwise invoked.

Bodes really well for the future, doesn't it?
Haven't followed that very closely but IINM someone said Charlton would be suing the EFL about that. The EFL, EUFA and FIFA all find it difficult to go through with their sanctions. Always trying not to upset anyone therefore upsetting plenty.