• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City v United 1969 reprised

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
First time I've seen that, I was one at the time !, great that archived stuff like this is still available

iscalad

We had a few good players in that team.Interesting to see Vince O'Keefe in the Wrexham game

grecIAN Harris

Fist time I've seen that. Cracking header by Banksy. It would have been interesting to see how things would have panned out if we'd hung on until half time.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
How on earth did we get that many in there! No segregation. The area by the grandstand towards the Big Bank, was that a temporary stand? I seem to remember someone saying that it was called the Transport Stand.

Need to to get that burned to DVD and add to the collection!

grecIAN Harris

Easy Hants, elf and safety hadn't been invented back then and realism reigned supreme.

Pete Martin (CTID)

How on earth did we get that many in there!
Easy! The record is 20,984. That was an FA Cup 6th round replay against Sunderland in 1931. We lost 4-2.

arthur

wrong game.....

Last edited:

elginCity

wrong game.....
Easy mistake to make, Art, you were only about 35 years adrift ! :D

(good link that, see you've posted it on the 'memories...' thread now !)

Last edited:

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I remember getting a bit over-excited and shouting abuse at Denis Law. Sorry, Denis.

I remember getting a bit over-excited and shouting abuse at Denis Law. Sorry, Denis.
I can remember queuing for hours for a ticket! In those days the ticket office was between the Old Grandstand and the Big Bank. The queue stretched all the way down Well Street, up St James Road to the chippie and well past the turning to Prospect Park. As to the game spent all afternoon wedged against the railings at the bottom of the Big Bank. Going to the toilet was impossible so from time to time the Manchester United fans behind (no segregation in those days) would pee on the fans below!. My grandfather could remember the Sunderland game and said the gate was even bigger and I think that was midweek.