• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City v United 1969 reprised

Andy Holloway

yeah remember it well,,, ish, queuing with vouchers and i remember being disappointed that utd played in blue,i do have a few stories to tell, but another time.
When we were moving soil from the area at the back of the control boxes, for the memorial garden we found one of the old numbers that used to be put up for the half time scores, a bit rusty and bent but still clearly legible.
It's now been cleaned up, well washed anyway, and is with Paul Farley as part of his 'City Memorabilia' collection at SJP.

Andy

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was crammed into that small area that is now to the left of the Big Bank where refreshments are now sold . What a great game , truly ' Thanks Banks and all the Ranks ' ! What a great little player he was too. Believe we got him from a non league side and paid , what was then , a good fee for him.
Cambridge City, I think, Banksy

Pete Martin (CTID)

Cambridge City, I think, Banksy
It was indeed. He started at Liverpool, which is his city of birth. He scored 10 goals for their reserves and scored on his debut against Brighton and eventually made 5 appearances, scoring 4 goals and scored 21 times for their reserves in 1960/1961. Unfortunately, the dominance of Alan A'Court and Jimmy Harrower at that time ruled the day.

Alan scored 109 times for us in 285 appearances during two spells, 1963-1966 and 1967-1973. In the 1966/67 season he was at......erm......the Gargoyles.

Alan is still a supporter of City, a regular at SJP and a member of the Supporters Club committee.

andrew p long

It was indeed. He started at Liverpool, which is his city of birth. He scored 10 goals for their reserves and scored on his debut against Brighton and eventually made 5 appearances, scoring 4 goals and scored 21 times for their reserves in 1960/1961. Unfortunately, the dominance of Alan A'Court and Jimmy Harrower at that time ruled the day.

Alan scored 109 times for us in 285 appearances during two spells, 1963-1966 and 1967-1973. In the 1966/67 season he was at......erm......the Gargoyles.

Alan is still a supporter of City, a regular at SJP and a member of the Supporters Club committee.
and IIRC one of the hospitality suites is named after him..

STURTZ

Great to see John Mitten playing - one of my favourite players of that era - would do a good job for us now.
Hear hear, my first favourite at City as well, indeed Man U came along game during my second year supporting City, really thought we were two up but Corr handled.

My memories involve walking to the ground and being met by hoards of Mancs singing "we are the Busby Boys" as they marched up Victoria Street, I ran!

We were a good side then but no better than we are now.

Oldsmobile-88

Thanks Banks and all the Ranks ' ! What a great little player he was too. Believe we got him from a non league side and paid , what was then , a good fee for him.
Banks cost £5,000(Approx 95k today) from Cambridge City in 1963..Then one of the top teams outside of the football league(It was not until later that decade that Cambridge United became the premier team in that city)...

The Grecians certainly got their moneys worth.Probably one of the clubs best signings..

Devonbean

Banks cost £5,000(Approx 95k today) from Cambridge City in 1963..Then one of the top teams outside of the football league(It was not until later that decade that Cambridge United became the premier team in that city)...

The Grecians certainly got their moneys worth.Probably one of the clubs best signings..
My favourite Exeter City player of all time. An inspiration on the field, yet so modest off it. Deservedly in the Hall of Fame.

geoffwp

Great to see John Mitten playing - one of my favourite players of that era - would do a good job for us now.
He was one of my favourite players too, along with Jonny Corr.

STURTZ

Saw Johnny Mitten once, outside the ground, leaning against a wall smoking a pipe looking like Lee Van Kleef waiting for thetrain in High Noon. His dad was known as "The Bogata Bandit" and there was something of the desperado about Johnny as well. Coolest penalty taker I've ever seen.