• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City v United 1969 reprised

AlanDevlin

My father and I got our tickets through my Grandfather's business connections in Manchester, and we were right in the middle of what is now the Big Bank... me standing on a folding fishing stool so I could at least see.

Although I was only about nine at the time, I can remember clearly the amazing buzz around the place when Banksy scored, and being in awe of the European Champions on the field in front of me, having avidly watched the European Cup final a few months before.

Question for the younger ones.... Particularly when Kidd scored on that footage, in the background on the fence was a large board with letters on it.... Any idea what that was for??? And does anyone remember doing Golden Goals (Think thats what it was called)? Does it still exist?

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
The board was for half time scores. If I remember rightly the numbers and corresponding games were printed in the programme.

Well-known Exeweb poster
yeah remember it well,,, ish, queuing with vouchers and i remember being disappointed that utd played in blue,i do have a few stories to tell, but another time.

Red Bill

Great to see those highlights. I was 7 at the time and had never been to a football match, I didn't know we were going until 20 minutes before the game. I was a bit annoyed when my dad dragged me out of the pram and toy shop before I could spend my christmas money but I cheered up when he told me we were going to watch Man U. I was really confused when he told me they were playing Exeter, Exeter's a place not a football team was apparently my reply, but he explained it to me and I finally understood the football teams were named after the towns they came and not just from some magical planet as I think I'd assumed.
In all honesty I can't remember much about the game but apparently I cried when George Best had to go off!!! It was definitely the most exciting day of my life up to that point even though I couldn't see much and led to 45 years supporting City.

cambmike

Great to see John Mitten playing - one of my favourite players of that era - would do a good job for us now.

IndoMike

I think Jimmy Blain put Best out of the game, even though Jimmy was not famous for being a hard tackler. Was it Johnny Newman who scored the own goal?
I can remember hearing the draw for the 3rd round on the traditional Monday morning radio broadcast and couldn't wait for the game. In those days if you were a kid to dream of City playing against United was huge. I too was in the St James Road end and it was indeed crammed..

andrew p long

Fascinating vid - looking at the restart after our goal one of their players stands 5 yards in our half...pretty sure this was never allowed was it?
Nope. Should we demand the game is replayed?

Of course the advent of tv coverage meant that we could verify refereeing errors - it was around this time that in one top level game on MOTD the same team kicked off at the start of both halves

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
My Dad was gutted about this - as a Man United fan when he came to England he fell into supporting City through living in Exmouth and going to matches but he returned to Rhodesia in late '68, missing this match by a couple of months.

He finally got to see both of his clubs playing each other, 9 years and 362 days ago, very much in the away support camp, mind.

Banksy

I was crammed into that small area that is now to the left of the Big Bank where refreshments are now sold . What a great game , truly ' Thanks Banks and all the Ranks ' ! What a great little player he was too. Believe we got him from a non league side and paid , what was then , a good fee for him.

elginCity

i remember being disappointed that utd played in blue.
Their away kit, which surprisingly, they also wore at Wembley 8 months previously, albeit in all blue.

For a televised match, in the days of black and white TVs, often the wearing of different coloured shirts wasn't enough, all grey tone, so shorts and even socks had to have a contrast.

Last edited: