• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City v Argyle - Matchday Thread

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
When's Nombe's contract up?
End of next season..

My issue isn't per say with replacing one of nombe, Stanno or Brown, its the high potential to replace all 3, which will be exceptionally tough. I am sure we are discussing the possibility of retaining Stanno next season.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
As regards Harper, this is pure conjecture [should probably have checked with Moxey if this is allowed] but I notice he’d made 14 appearances for us before he disappeared off the radar back in October, and has now made 24. Am wondering, therefore, if 15 and 25 appearances trigger a payment to Ipswich.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Apparently the natives in the away end were none too pleased that the food ran out...Hard fcking luck 😁
The warming ovens at all kiosks were filled to (over) capacity

Lots of aggravation for kioskstaff at SJ Rd with Stewards just watching( no surprise there unfortunately)
Not having a pop at the Stewards(orange jackets) because they can’t get involved in altercations.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
End of next season..

My issue isn't per say with replacing one of nombe, Stanno or Brown, its the high potential to replace all 3, which will be exceptionally tough. I am sure we are discussing the possibility of retaining Stanno next season.
My initial comment on the challenge of replacing Nombe was in reply to someone saying that 'he won't be missed'.

JCWhoosh

Caldwell did well to improve the squad in January. I'm hopeful that with his contacts, clear way he wants us to play, £'s in the bank with increase in capacity and the potential sale of some of our players and evidence that some aren't good enough at this level will see some decent incomings in the summer.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
My initial comment on the challenge of replacing Nombe was in reply to someone saying that 'he won't be missed'.
Fair shout. If Nombe goes we will miss him hugely and like Stanno and brown will be very difficult to replace with similar or better.

Avening Posse

Will this be the summer when Amps is sold ?

fred binneys head

Gutted at yesterday’s result, we weren’t at our flowing best but we were up against a resolute side. I thought first half we were great and should have been 1 or 2 up at half time, Nombe was unplayable and Stanno also did well. Funnily enough, without Kev in the middle, I thought the tactics of long ball to the corners was very effective and we should have done it better in the second half against a much improved Argyle press. Second half our long balls were too central and their lump of a centre half could cope with them, he couldn’t cope being moved around, which we didn’t do enough of. I disagreed with the fans screaming for us to play balls to feet, the simple fact is when we tried to do that we just weren’t good enough, argyle are simply a better team than us right now. They were poor coming forward, but they were tough to play through, hence why we had to play over them.

Obviously their goal had a massive slice of luck about it, but it was sloppy defending to start with. And they saw the game out very well, as annoying as it was to watch. The referee did us a favour in the last 4-0 game at SJP, but he didn’t yesterday. First half he let lots of physicals happen, but second half he protected argyle at all times. It was as if someone had spoken to him at half time.

But losing to that load of self gratificationers still hurts, especially given their league position. It seems Sheffield Wednesday are blowing up like we all hoped argyle would. Still, there’s time, we can keep hoping.

Huge job for GC over the summer, but I trust him to get it right. See you all at SJP on Tuesday, then at Sheffield then at Ipswich. Loads of great football left this season.

grecIAN Harris

In League 2 as well, with Flitcrofts help
And there in lies the answer to next season. Caldwell will have a lot more contacts but Flitcroft seems to be the mainframe behind the locating and scouting of the correct players.

red1

Caldwell did well to improve the squad in January. I'm hopeful that with his contacts, clear way he wants us to play, £'s in the bank with increase in capacity and the potential sale of some of our players and evidence that some aren't good enough at this level will see some decent incomings in the summer.
Agree he did well to improve the squad, apart from Joe White. I think league 1 is a step too far for him at the moment. Given time im sure he will make it, but at the moment he really adds nothing as a starter or finisher !