• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City v Argyle - Matchday Thread

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’m not on any fence. It was you who declared it nigh on impossible to find a striker with half the ability of Nombe, so if Taylor can do it why can’t Caldwell? I see no evidence to say he’s unable to match Taylor’s achievements as manager.
It's my opinion.

To land a striker who will finish in the top 6 scorers in League One next season, given our budget, would require more than some good connections and an eye for a player. It will require some luck.

Its not a sleight on GC, it's a reflection on what an exceptionally good signing Nombe's turned out to be.

Last edited:

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Mitchell is probably our best player at the moment without Jevani…
Yep, I agree.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Mitchell is probably our best player at the moment without Jevani…
McDonald’s none too shabby either. But let’s judge Caldwell after an August window - I would suggest it’s more difficult to sign marquee players in January than it is in August (not that you were suggesting otherwise).

Antony Moxey

It's my opinion.

To land a striker who will finish in the top 6 scores in League One next season, given our budget, would require more than some good connections and eye for a player. It will require some luck.

Its not a sleight on GC, it's a reflection on what an exceptionally good signing Nombe's turned out to be.
But I go back to the reply I gave you previously: if Taylor can do it why can’t Caldwell? I’ve seen no evidence either way to say whether he will be able to achieve that or not - you seem convinced he won’t. Why?

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
But I go back to the reply I gave you previously: if Taylor can do it why can’t Caldwell? I’ve seen no evidence either way to say whether he will be able to achieve that or not - you seem convinced he won’t. Why?
I go back to my reply I gave you previously. Of course he could, in theory. He could also get us promoted without dropping a point, in theory. I just don't think he will.

Signing a player who'll be an improvement on Nombe will require luck - our budget will not be in the top 6 in the division next year, so there will be plenty of clubs able to attract better strikers 'on paper'. Scouting, coaching and management ability aside, this puts GC at a disadvantage. We'll be looking for players like Scott who have had a hard time elsewhere, or injuries, or both. That'll mean we'll need some fortune in getting whoever we bring in as a replacement to reach their potential. All this considered, I think GC finding a top 6 striker for next season is unlikely.

But let's check in end of next season - it'll be pretty simple to assess how it's played out.

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

I go back to my reply I gave you previously. Of course he could, in theory. He could also get us promoted without dropping a point, in theory. I just don't think he will.

Signing a player who'll be an improvement on Nombe will require luck - our budget will not be in the top 6 in the division next year, so there will be plenty of clubs able to attract better strikers 'on paper'. Scouting, coaching and management ability aside, this puts GC at a disadvantage. We'll be looking for players like Scott who have had a hard time elsewhere, or injuries, or both. That'll mean we'll need some fortune in getting whoever we bring in as a replacement to reach their potential. All this considered, I think GC finding a top 6 striker for next season is unlikely.

But let's check in end of next season - it'll be pretty simple to assess how it's played out.
I doubt our budget was in the top six of L2 last season either, but we still managed to attract Nombe nonetheless. There’s nothing to suggest we couldn’t do the same this time round. Your pessimism is no more warranted than my suggestion that it could happen.

Grecian Max

Nombe was and is a great signing. We also spent north of £100k on him. The board backed MT well on that, I hope GC gets afforded the same privilege.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Perhaps he did. Perhaps your reconciliation struggles make you wrong and not the manager. I guess that’s why he’s got the job?
I said I struggled to reconcile GC’s words with his team selection. Didn’t realise it was ‘wrong’ to venture an opinion on these things, but appreciate you putting me straight.

Bridgy 81

No disrespect to Matt Taylor, but those of us who were at the recent Senior Reds meeting with Marcus Flitcroft know that it was probably him and his team who were also involved in identifying and signing Sam.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I doubt our budget was in the top six of L2 last season either, but we still managed to attract Nombe nonetheless. There’s nothing to suggest we couldn’t do the same this time round. Your pessimism is no more warranted than my suggestion that it could happen.
You really struggle to accept a differing opinion sometimes old chap.

I've accepted it could happen, I just don't think it will. How irritating for you.