• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheltenham Town vs Exeter City matchday thread

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
It doesn't matter if the support aren't entirely with him (and I wouldn't read too much into posts on here, which are nearly always more negative about players or manager than than the majority of fans). He won't be sacked at the end of the season if we don't go down (we won't) and he'll have next season to prove that his ideas in terms of recruitment and playing style work. I'm already convinced they will. He has a much bigger budget than Tisdale had to work with in this division and he's clearly focussed and motivated to raise the level. You can see that he knows a good player from the ones he's brought in, although Aimson better not have too many more performances like the one today.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
You can’t score with your hand.
Maradona managed it.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wasnt there but listened in and Cheltenhams commentary team said when we scored “ well thats no surprise, thats been coming since thirty five minutes, looks like they will go on and win this now”. They were full of praise for
our style of play and were more than surprised at the final whistle.
you cant legislate for mistakes, but carry on with what GC is trying to instill and we we will come good.
I also listened to Chelts commentary who were very complimentary and also mentioned that there was a bit of fracas before penalty as it looked like Stanno got the nod from the bench to take it but Nombs took it away from him.
Anyone notice that at the game ?

milts

I also listened to Chelts commentary who were very complimentary and also mentioned that there was a bit of fracas before penalty as it looked like Stanno got the nod from the bench to take it but Nombs took it away from him.
Anyone notice that at the game ?
It looked like Stanno was going to take it - I even commented to say that. He had the ball in his arms but passed it to Sam for him to take. Not sure what was said or who was supposed to take it.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think if we had scored the penalty, and we were on top at that point, we would have gone on to win comfortably. I don't think Cheltenham look like a team built to chase the game. But missing it and then conceding geed Cheltenham up and rattled us for the next 15/20 minutes until just before half time when we got on top again. It was a terrific pass from Joe White to get Demi in behind the defender for the penalty. I felt White picked up a lot of good positions in the game between the lines and used the ball well before tiring.

The second half was one way traffic and we looked far better attacking from the wide areas and eventually it paid off with a well worked goal. Always nice to see a wing back get to the byline and cross to the far post for the opposite wing back to attack. It almost happened in reverse a little before with Key standing one up for Demi before we got the requisite heights the correct way around.

Then we got the interminable delay for the flare and we never really got going again. Conceding a bad goal from a free header which was right in the corner. The third then killed us.

I was surprised to see Kegs starting but then I thought he actually played pretty well. He was always available to take the ball and moved it well. I think the substitution for KMac was probably all in the plan. The one main player we never really got into the game today was Sam. I don't know if it was the perspective of looking right down the pitch but it does seem quite a short pitch and there wasn't much room to run in behind, unless you were defending on the halfway line of course.

Probably a game to put behind us and move on to the next. There are always lessons to learn from every game but I thought the intent was there today and we played some good stuff at times. Sloppy moments though will always kill you and they did today.

grecIAN Harris

Well, I’m currently sat at the services on the way home and I’m feeling pleased about the way we played. Some of the comments about GC’s style being shiite and us playing like Stoke must have been written by people who are blind, drunk or both. I thought it was clear today which team was playing with a real identity and which one was lucky to win.

The penalty miss was a shame and Sammy will be gutted - it was poor technique. That fired Cheltenham up though and they ended up taking the lead after some slapstick defending, with a massive slip and a scuffed shot. But still we dominated the game, just without much of a cutting edge. And Cheltenham had nothing. Was it 70% possession we had?

Second half we absolutely bossed the game, created chances (two good saves from Stanno and Key) and deservedly equalised. Then a ******** threw a flare on the pitch and GC made two substitutions for some reason, and all momentum was lost.

A sloppy piece of defending gives them a corner and sloppy marking gives their centre half a free header and sloppy keeping lets the ball into the net. FFS.

We still dominated though and you could see how GC is wanting us to play, Jamal playing it out from the back, Sweenz and Mitchell passing low inside rather than launching it long (Stoke City? 🤣) and the midfield following up when the attacks broke down. I enjoyed watching this game.

Alfie May was 15 miles offside and they get a third on the break, and we lose. I was sat next to their fans and even one of them shouted thank you to the lino. Cheltenham were time wasting bastards like they always are, and they saw out the win.

I’m not depressed tonight, we’re starting to play with an identity and it’s one I like. Anyone saying we were playing long ball football, like Stoke under Tony Pulis - you’re beyond help.
I'm pretty much on the same page as you Fred. There was only one team that was going to win that game until the stoppage immeadiately after the goal and the substitutions. The tw@t who chucked the flair on the pitch wants his head publicly kicked in. The five minute faff from the Cheltenham matchday staff to tidy up the morons mess stalled the game and our momentum with it. The substitution of Chauke was strange. He was my Man of the Match and was providing a lot of graft in the first half and growing into the game as far as his ballwork was concerned. White was out of gas and should have come off. I wasn't too sure about taking Stanno off either. Their second was poor marking, end of. The third I thought, like you, was miles off but photographic evidence after your post seems to suggest otherwise.

grecIAN Harris

It looked like Stanno was going to take it - I even commented to say that. He had the ball in his arms but passed it to Sam for him to take. Not sure what was said or who was supposed to take it.
Possibly watching Newcastle last night. Trippier looked for all the world like he was going to take their penalty last night before passing it to Isaak, the plan generally to take the pressure off of the penalty taker.

Grecian Max

I thought MK Where in the relegation zone when we played them. Happy to be corrected if this wasn't the case. I wasn't commentating on current league position. I might be wrong in that aspect of my post. As said happy to be correct IF I am incorrect.
I mean this proves how pointless your made up stats are mate 🤣

elginCity

…….Aimson better not have too many more performances like the one today.
Including deliberately kicking the ball away after conceding a foul when we’re chasing the game. Stanno having to run and collect it too.

grecIAN Harris

Including deliberately kicking the ball away after conceding a foul when we’re chasing the game. Stanno having to run and collect it too.
Or maybe to buy himself a couple of seconds to get himself back into position where a quick free kick would have left him hopelessly out of position.