• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheltenham Town v Exeter City Official Matchday Thread

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
As to the second Pym booking, it was similar in some ways to the incident at Northampton where he barged Sam Foley out of the way to get the ball, and it was Foley who got booked!
Camera angle not great and at first sight it looked as if Pym was being petulant and pushed the player before even attempting to pick up the ball. On a closer look you can see that the Cheltenham player had deliberately turned and was moving towards the ball with the clear intention of attempting to obstruct Pym.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Can we appeal against the first booking?
No - as said earlier in the thread you can only appeal yellow cards for mistaken identity.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
No - as said earlier in the thread you can only appeal yellow cards for mistaken identity.
But, if indeed there was actually a foul at all by a City player!!?, with such video evidence as was available the culprit would have been Troy and not Christie surely the identity was mistaken?

Having said that, with only one working day between the Cheltenham and Macclesfield games would any appeal have been viable?

PS: One thing strikes me though. Directly and indirectly Bent H*xt*ble does seem to be going out of his way to help Macclesfield as far as ECFC is concerned! :(

PeteUSA

PS: One thing strikes me though. Directly and indirectly Bent H*xt*ble does seem to be going out of his way to help Macclesfield as far as ECFC is concerned! :(
So you dont subscribe to the reasonably plausable theory that the penalty award was given for the shove in the back on Varney - nothing whatever to do with Pym? The only thing I would say is that Mr Huxtable could have explained what the award was for - thus preventing the wrenting of garments etc on here.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

So you dont subscribe to the reasonably plausable theory that the penalty award was given for the shove in the back on Varney - nothing whatever to do with Pym? The only thing I would say is that Mr Huxtable could have explained what the award was for - thus preventing the wrenting of garments etc on here.
Is he allowed to do that Pate ?

PeteUSA

Is he allowed to do that Pate ?
As of 25 years ago (when I left the UK) the team captain was the only one who was permitted to ask a referee for clarification on a decision, this was implimented following the referee's being repeatedly mobbed by players following contentious decisions. I cant believe that rule doesnt still stand in some form, at the very least.

Grecian2K

Not at all Pete. In fact, if you read the first part of my post I'm actually suggesting precisely the same as you - that the abominable whistler booked the wrong man. :(
And, before you try to explain the card of Christy's (entirely justified) outrage rather than the initial "foul" it is clear in the clips that said card was already in full brandish-mode even before our INNOCENT glovesman even arrived on the scene (although I will concede that the said, subsequent verbals could have merited an immediate second yellow -so "every cloud" eh?)

PeteUSA

Not at all Pete. In fact, if you read the first part of my post I'm actually suggesting precisely the same as you - that the abominable whistler booked the wrong man..
I'm sorry old bean, I was drawn to your last paragraph with the "bent Huxtable going out of his way to help Macclefield" comment. I should have read the post properly.

older-codger

Surely even Huxtable isn't so incompetent that he mistook Pym for Troy Brown? He definitely knew he was booking Pym or otherwise he would not have issued the red for a second yellow.

PeteUSA

Surely even Huxtable isn't so incompetent that he mistook Pym for Troy Brown? He definitely knew he was booking Pym or otherwise he would not have issued the red for a second yellow.
He booked Pym for screaming at him nose to nose, I think. Pyms second yellow spoke for itself really.