• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheltenham Town v Exeter City Official Matchday Thread

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yep, completely agree.
Me too. From this angle it looks a clear foul... by the forward on Pym...

StroudGrecian

At times I think we invite too much pressure when we are winning or drawing, we often sit too deep, when were are 1 - 0 up I think our side is better suited to looking for another rather than simply protecting what we have.
Have to agree with this, seemed to me both Collins and Taylor were in the 'holding midfielder' role - belt and braces for our generally trustworthy defence, but this shape blunted our offensive play, with Bowman and Jay isolated.

STURTZ

Pym sees the cross, goes for it and punches it clear, their forward is purely incidental, no penalty.

elginCity

I can't see anyway that that is a penalty, possibly Troy Brown touched Varneys shirt?
Devils advocate, here. Agree with that, it appears to me that Troy propelled Varney into Christy's path before motoring right into the net and laying prone for quite some time, as 'guilty' players often do.

Last edited:

fred binneys head

So why was Christy booked?

elginCity

So why was Christy booked?
After the pen awarded he ran straight at the ref, poss verbals ?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
As to the second Pym booking, it was similar in some ways to the incident at Northampton where he barged Sam Foley out of the way to get the ball, and it was Foley who got booked!

scottus86

Alternative viewing angle in this video from Cheltenham Town https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoenpjTJ5Fk
From that angle it's a foul on Pym. Pym has come out, punched the ball away and the been "poleaxed" by their forward. Our freekick, even if the forward was injured.

Not only that, the same ref missed a blatant penalty against Macclesfield. We have been on the bad end of many reffing decisions this season, whether that's minutes being added on on top of the stoppage time proposed, soft cards given, penalties for us being missed and soft ones being given, but it all evens itself out over the season, so we should get a few penalties in the next few games, we'll probably miss them though.

PeteUSA

Devils advocate, here. Agree with that, it appears to me that Troy propelled Varney into Christy's path before motoring right into the net and laying prone for quite some time, as 'guilty' players often do.
I think you're right, based on the footage from the side, which would have been the referees view. I think he gave the penalty for the shove on Varney that propelled him in an awkward fashion into Pym. Its a bit of a blur but thats how it looks; a little more than "touching his shirt" I feel.

burtiew

Can we appeal against the first booking?