• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheltenham Town v Exeter City Official Matchday Thread

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Re: Cheltenham Town v Exeter City Offcial Matchday Thread

What refereeing decision went in our favour at Notts County?
You didn't say anything about refereeing decisions, you said "win a game we didn't deserve to". Notts County was one.

I'm sure however that we have in the past won games in the past because a refereeing decision went in our favour. None that I can recall this season, it's true, if that's what you meant I concur.

Larry Wilkie

Despite the annoyance and disappointment regarding the penalty decision I do have to admire the quality of the (eventual) spotkick.

I don't think the late, great Gordon Banks (or even our dear old Pate in his prime0 would have got a paw to that one. Credit to their player for keeping his calm after such a long delay.

G2k - off to firmly put his hard hat on against the inevitable Flack for this suggestion!) ;)
Don't think you need your hard hat G2K. Whilst the vast majority on here, and on the Cheltenham side, are in agreement that the decision was wrong, nobody can deny the quality of the finish, and, as you say, the nerve after such a long delay.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

You didn't say anything about refereeing decisions, you said "win a game we didn't deserve to". Notts County was one.

I'm sure however that we have in the past won games in the past because a refereeing decision went in our favour. None that I can recall this season, it's true, if that's what you meant I concur.
We didn't end up winning the game but I think most people agreed that a penalty should have been given against Aaron Martin in the Lincoln game and that he should probably also have been sent off.

Tim Long

I'm now waiting for a red card for Pym for violent conduct going on what I'm reading. It would be very Huxtable.
Oh, he was far better/ worse/ smarter/ more stupid (delete as applicable) than that. I think it's still the case you can appeal a straight red, but not two yellows.

Terryhall

Blaming a referee for a result is a little bit desperate IMO

Decisions like this happen every Saturday Up and down the land.....
I thought you thought the decision was correct Credy? Changed your mind have you?

Dannyred

I thought there goal keeper was superb chatting to the city fans & clapping the city support at the end. He even admitted in his view it wasn’t a penalty.

Even though I didn’t agree about the penalty a draw in the end was a fair result as it was pretty equal.

Concerned with hamon in goal on Tuesday, hope he proves me wrong.

Fareham Grecian

Clear and indisputable...I presume the club will appeal the first booking and ask for the red card to be struck off...
You can’t appeal a yellow can you?? Or a red if it was from two yellows

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member

You can’t appeal a yellow can you?? Or a red if it was from two yellows
My understanding is you can only appeal a yellow in the case of mistaken identity.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member

I think we are agreeing that overall we didn't do enough to win the game, however just for once it would be nice to win a game we didn't deserve to, especially after games like Port Vale and Lincoln away, and Grimsby at home.
The funny thing with that is I thought we were rubbish against Yeovil and won, but brilliant against Grimsby three days later and lost, so in that way it did even itself out somewhat.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster

My understanding is you can only appeal a yellow in the case of mistaken identity.
Does Huxtable mistakenly identifying himself as a referee count?