• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Aren't we all delighted?

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
I am proud of the football team i support once again. I so look forward to coming down to the park . The enjoyment is back. The club feels like everyone is pulling together now, no hidden agendas. And the Academy, well, that is something to be proud if.

Well done Matt Taylor for being a manager i can relate to.

grecIAN Harris

As mentioned on the match day thread I just can't get my head around the comments from some who seem to think we should win this league with a 100% record scoring 5 a game.

Matt Taylor has us on the right path and I'm sure we will get a promotion in the next season or two. I also unfortunately predict that MT will be off to pastures new within the next 2 seasons having been snapped up by a bigger club.
It's not about us actually winning by five every game, it's about getting players in the right position to have the opportunity to win by five every game. To do that you need to have strikers playing in strikers positions rather than right midfielders in strikers positions because strikers know where they should be and Lee Martin is nearly always twenty yards out of position during any attack. Matt Taylor us the one bemoaning the lack of goals yet he does nothing to change the situation.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's not about us actually winning by five every game, it's about getting players in the right position to have the opportunity to win by five every game. To do that you need to have strikers playing in strikers positions rather than right midfielders in strikers positions because strikers know where they should be and Lee Martin is nearly always twenty yards out of position during any attack. Matt Taylor us the one bemoaning the lack of goals yet he does nothing to change the situation.
But it's very hard to be solid at the back and score a lot of goals, you're usually good at one or the other (unless you're Man City or Liverpool).

Lee Martin has been one of our better players this season and from what I saw of Seymour at home to Port Vale he isn't ready yet, Ajose isn't fit and Fisher is a poor version of Bowman.

Stelios

But it's very hard to be solid at the back and score a lot of goals, you're usually good at one or the other (unless you're Man City or Liverpool).

Lee Martin has been one of our better players this season and from what I saw of Seymour at home to Port Vale he isn't ready yet, Ajose isn't fit and Fisher is a poor version of Bowman.
Agreed. It's a balance. We look really solid at the moment. I'm a huge Lee Martin fan but 5 goals in 50 odd games suggests we're not going to see too many goals from him. It feels like Martin and Williams are a little unsure where to go when Bowman has ended up out wide or drawn a defender out of position. You're relying on Law to come in the box (which he's good at). Williams is good at beating a player or two, cutting inside then not really knowing what to do. Martin is ratting about being a pest (very effectively). But it's hard to see them scoring too many.

grecIAN Harris

How can he be one of our better players when he is nearly always twenty yards out of position in relation to where he is being asked to play? He should be one of our better plays when he plays in the correct position. As for the rest of it, you won't really know with Seymour until you give him a chance and by that I mean a run of games. At least his mind will be working to where he should be and taking Lee Martin out for him would have any effect on the solid defence. He's playing up front, or at least, supposed to be. The least Taylor should be doing is putting Matt Jay in instead who, although he's slowly drifting back into being a midfield player, grew up as a striker and knows where he should be positioned if he is asked to play there.

geoffwp

Well done Matt Taylor for being a manager i can relate to.
Fair enough crocks, i just dont need to have to do that. I dont go to see what he is wearing, to hear what he has to say before or after, to learn his decisions, to hear reasons or excuses. I only go to watch what happens on the pitch. Im proud of my team just like you, but I was proud of my team last year and the year before that and many many times before that. In fact I've never lost pride in my club.

Stelios

How can he be one of our better players when he is nearly always twenty yards out of position in relation to where he is being asked to play?

......and taking Lee Martin out for him would have any effect on the solid defence. He's playing up front, or at least, supposed to be.
Do we know where he's being asked to play and where he is supposed to be?

Martin is tremendous at chasing seemingly lost causes and putting oppo players under pressure. I think it would have an effect on the team defensively if we had e.g. Jay or a fit Ajose, playing instead of him. I don't know how to fit them all in and make it work. But that's above my pay grade :)

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lee Martin looks effective to me. He's out of position for a striker if he's playing as a striker, but he's not. He's playing as a link man. Getting out wide, dropping deep, moving defenders about, linking play up, bolstering the midfield.... He covers a lot of ground, has a good touch, brings people into play, harries defenders and holds the ball up. He's not a 30 goal a season striker, but he offers a goal threat. More than one way to skin a cat. Ajose is our poacher. Bowman and Martin are not massively prolific, but offer a lot besides. Served us well so far and they've bagged a few as well.

grecIAN Harris

Simple fact for you Stelios. Matt Taylor's biggest gripe is that we are not punishing teams by finishing off the amount of chances we are creating.
Matt Taylor is either a) only playing Bowman up front on his own (which is what your question is alluding to) or b) he's playing a wide midfielder in a strikers position (which is the more likely of the two especially at home). Either way, it's been like that since he dropped Nicky Ajose and it isn't doing anything to resolve his gripe.
Now to be fair to Taylor, I can understand why he might set up that way away from home if a is the answer but at home when we're pasting teams the way we are in the first twenty minutes it is criminal. All of this says the suggestion in your question is wrong and Taylor is continually shooting the side in the foot by not changing the personnel up front and it would have little or no effect on our defensive situation especially with Matt Jay as he as capable of putting a shift in as anybody in the club. More to the point, the best form of defence is attack and if we are putting our chances away it takes all the pressure of the defence anyway.

grecIAN Harris

Lee Martin looks effective to me. He's out of position for a striker if he's playing as a striker, but he's not. He's playing as a link man. Getting out wide, dropping deep, moving defenders about, linking play up, bolstering the midfield.... He covers a lot of ground, has a good touch, brings people into play, harries defenders and holds the ball up. He's not a 30 goal a season striker, but he offers a goal threat. More than one way to skin a cat. Ajose is our poacher. Bowman and Martin are not massively prolific, but offer a lot besides. Served us well so far and they've bagged a few as well.
So if he is doing all what you reckon in the first line how is he offering a goal threat when he always at least twenty yards away from the goal? Yesterday there were at least two if not three balls that went flying across the box in the first 15 minutes that had missed out Bowman attacking the near post where we should have had somebody coming in at the back post but Lee Martin was nowhere to be seen. It's simply where he should have been and if we had a proper striker playing that's where they would have been. We would have been two or three up inside 15 minutes and it would have been goodnight Vienna for Village Green Rovers. City can then relax and play some nice football instead of having to dig deep and play ugly and leave the opposition still in with a fighting chance. It's cost us against Crewe last week. It cost us against Newport. It cost us against Swindon. It cost us against Orient. Not putting teams to bed when we are dominating because we haven't got the bodies in the box because half of our strikeforce is playing twenty yards behind where he needs to be.