• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alfie Pond

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
As well as he's doing at Tivvy it's a HUGE step up to League Two. I expect to see him out on loan at maybe Bath or Chippenham next season in National League South first. Maybe even Yeovil or Torquay in the National League, when we'll obviously be in League One 😉

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
As well as he's doing at Tivvy it's a HUGE step up to League Two. I expect to see him out on loan at maybe Bath or Chippenham next season in National League South first. Maybe even Yeovil or Torquay in the National League, when we'll obviously be in League One 😉
I think if you're good enough the step up isn't a problem. Diabate wasn't getting rave reviews, or even playing every week whilst on loan at Truro then seamlessly slots into our performing L2 side. Storey walked in to our side at a very young age and was clearly a step above the rest. It appears to me that if you have the talent and the correct attitude then the higher the level you play at allows you to showcase that talent more so than in the non league.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think if you're good enough the step up isn't a problem. Diabate wasn't getting rave reviews, or even playing every week whilst on loan at Truro then seamlessly slots into our performing L2 side. Storey walked in to our side at a very young age and was clearly a step above the rest. It appears to me that if you have the talent and the correct attitude then the higher the level you play at allows you to showcase that talent more so than in the non league.
Indeed, both Cheick and Jordan stepped up seamlessly straight from playing at the same Southern League Premier level that Alfie is playing at now. Truro and Dorchester respectively. The one thing those two have in common is that opportunity opened up for them mid season.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Storey was an exception IMO. Pond is two years younger than Diabate and right now we're well off for players at CB. There's no need to rush Pond's progress.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
In fairness, Diabate was playing every week (when fit) for Truro.

Bridgy 81

It’s been announced today that Ben Adelsbury, one of Taunton’s main centre backs for the past 5 years is leaving.
I don’t know why.
So maybe a local-ish loan possibility for Alfie in Conference South, perhaps 6 months in the first instance then review.
I don’t imagine Taunton will change to full-time training next season so perhaps he could do some with us and some with them?

Simba3011

Surprised that he's apparently turned down to opportunity to go out on loan according to MT. Anyone know how long is left on his contract?

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Surprised that he's apparently turned down to opportunity to go out on loan according to MT. Anyone know how long is left on his contract?
From MT's post match it appears that Alfie / his agent are angling for move away from SJP but those N of the border don't want to pay us what he's worth. Guess we have less than 12 months to sort it out.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Always good when our youngsters sign up agents to negotiate their break from the club. Shame had high hopes for Alfie, but his head has bee turned, couple offers in north of the border not meeting our valuation

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Always good when our youngsters sign up agents to negotiate their break from the club. Shame had high hopes for Alfie, but his head has bee turned, couple offers in north of the border not meeting our valuation
Thanks for nothing Alfie - sad that you don't see the need to repay the club that has given you so much opportunity.
At least you are headed N & not W !
UTC