• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alfie Pond

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
It really isn’t, just ask Gerrard.
If Rangers are comparable to Villa, let’s make them match Villa’s generosity re. Chrisene.
If lowly Peterborough can meet our valuation for Randall, then why can’t Rangers for Pond?
Rangers know they don’t have to pay as much compo because they’re from Scotland.

The point is Rangers will have amazing facilites, and play in Europe, it’s miles off us. He would experience a big club with good wages. It’s not the ENGLISH PREMIER BEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD but it’s still elite football imo

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
How do you know its the first offer? As said on here many times, Ollie never had the offers so you don't know whether he would have gone or not, you could say that he took the first offer he had, albeit at an older age!
Amber, I dont. However, if the club had received multiple offers for the boy stupidly low offers would have already been usurped by better ones and negotiations on a deal out of the club would be ongoing I assume. In this case I wouldnt be surprised if Matt has taken this on a personal level as I know from talking to people close to the player himself that Matt has spent an incredible amount of time nurturing Pond to this point.

Grecian Max

Also didn’t we get about £400k for Chrisene. I’d imagine Rangers have probably kicked off with £150k or something but I’m sure we’ll end up with a half decent amount. Sell on would be good.

tavyred

The point is Rangers will have amazing facilites, and play in Europe, it’s miles off us. He would experience a big club with good wages. It’s not the ENGLISH PREMIER BEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD but it’s still elite football imo
I’m not denying the step up from us, just putting forward the idea we have the right to set our own valuation and stick to it.

DawlishBouy

If Alfie runs down his contract and goes to Scotland there will be a nominal compensation package normally no more than 50 grand
Under FIFA regulations wouldn’t it be about £50,000 per season of training from age 15 plus a small amount per year of training from age 12 to 15? And the a small percentage of any transfer he is involved with later in his career.

Red Monster

If it’s a rubbish offer just turn it down and if the lad comes around he could well get some game time it’s a long season, just look how it
went for Cheick .

He might then attract interest from Premiership clubs if he’s so
desperate to leave.

Last edited:

STURTZ

I suppose the worse thing about this would be that a path could feasibly be created for Scottish and other foreign clubs to come in and hoover up players that we have developed for very little. Profiting from our academy without making the investment, quite a good idea really!

andrew p long

I'm all with the 'don't accept a rubbish offer' stance. But we have to recognise that we don't hold all the cards. When Pond is out of contract (the end of this season?) he can move to Scotland for 'training compensation' only .
From what I've read so far, Dawlish Buoy looks to have tracked down the relevant regs. There was the converse row when 16 year old Rory Wilson moved from Rangers to Aston Villa at the start of the month about abuse of the cross border transfer system (and an unfortunate echo of the Jay Stansfield move - Fulham got screwed by Liverpool over Harvey Elliott, so in turn screwed us. Rangers get screwed by Villa, so in turn....)

tavyred

I'm all with the 'don't accept a rubbish offer' stance. But we have to recognise that we don't hold all the cards. When Pond is out of contract (the end of this season?) he can move to Scotland for 'training compensation' only .
From what I've read so far, Dawlish Buoy looks to have tracked down the relevant regs. There was the converse row when 16 year old Rory Wilson moved from Rangers to Aston Villa at the start of the month about abuse of the cross border transfer system (and an unfortunate echo of the Jay Stansfield move - Fulham got screwed by Liverpool over Harvey Elliott, so in turn screwed us. Rangers get screwed by Villa, so in turn....)
No one is saying we hold all the cards, the card we do hold is the one where we set his valuation while he’s under contract. It’s up to Pond now.

dommers

Hope this doesn't cause a ripple effect amongst the young players.
That's the worry isn't it. If Pond doesn't see development opportunities here for the next couple years what about Cox and Lee. Is it time to take a risk and say to Lee that he's got 8 games to prove he's worth a risk as first choice for the season.