• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Cambridge United Official Matchday Thread

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Was Niskanen playing as a RWB? I thought our formation looked like 4-2-3-1; Purrington, Jules, Diabate, Sweens as back four; Carroll & Harris in the middle; Yannick on the left; Jack in the middle; Ilmari on the Right; Cox up front (oh, er missus).

I was watching on iFollow which makes following formations harder as the camera follows the ball.
3 at the back with Purrington now in the doesn't look like a wing back role. Harris playing out of position in CM with Carroll.

Can’t knock his effort or energy 👍

I don’t think wing back suits him…

Perhaps if he was used as a conventional winger he would be better.
He done a first time touch in the 2nd half down the left wing, that flew out of play faster than one of Yanic's shots

Mid Devon Grecian

No unfortunately.
Alan Partridge, a little known East Anglian hotshot.

Mid Devon Grecian

3 at the back with Purrington now in the doesn't look like a wing back role. Harris playing out of position in CM with Carroll.
Yep, f**cking *****

milts

Has Purrington even been a wing back before?

it might of been him who had the header at the end ?
No. He described himself as a defensive full back when we signed him.

Mid Devon Grecian

I haven’t got an effing clue how we’re set up these days. Get rid of the clown FFS.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
There you have it.Straight from the horses mouth. Tactics are stats driven,not influenced by what's going on in front of your face.

burtiew

Very cold and very bored after todays game ... don't get me started on the short corners. Bereft of ideas ... do they actually do anything in training. Niskanen tried hard, as did Cox and Harris. Need a striker NOW!!! Rankine was best player on the pitch ...but in reality that's not saying a lot. My wife who was with me, and knows nothing about football said 'Isn't the idea to kick it towards the goal?'

manc grecian

Over trained and overcomplicated.

Fella is a 🔔 end.

Play what's in front of you

arthur

If that's the worst game you've seen at St James Park then you lot all have appalling memories. Yes it was dull and unproductive, but not having much of the ball the ball and constantly giving it away with misplaced passes and hopeful lumps forward is, to my mind, far more unattractive to watch. And having the ball meant that they didn't, again, not a huge positive in itself, but a welcome absence of a negative. Presumably, on that showing, the Cambridge manager is a tactical genius compared to Caldwell. Setting up purely to defend against a toothless team, a team racked with a lack of confidence and with the fans on the manager's back - an absolute masterstroke. Recruit him immediately

Disappointed with Purrington. Wildschutt seemed to spend most of the game glued to the touchline. Agree with the comment that Rankine and Cole probably being saved for Rovers. The short corner routine was beyond absurd