• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Cambridge United Official Matchday Thread

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
No. He described himself as a defensive full back when we signed him.
Cracking. Just what we need in our quest for goals.

So in reality we have 3 left sided defenders and still no lwb

tom_ecfc

Sweenz in the thick of it 2 weeks running….
IMG_1706.jpeg
IMG_1707.jpeg

Mid Devon Grecian

It’s better than it was back before Christmas but we’re still creating precious little in the way of chances….Tom Carroll flashing one over the top ten minutes from time about our only serious effort on goal….Commitment, effort and work rate can’t be faulted by the players…..But after only two wins in four months nothing changes from the manager in the way of approach and tactics that haven’t worked for best part of twenty matches now.
I’m with you re the frustration. We did have two chances prior to that. Sonny header skimmed top of crossbar. Purrington header, decent save from their keeper, you would expect him to make.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
View attachment 14565
View attachment 14566
Confrontation like this reeks of relegation

Mid Devon Grecian

If that's the worst game you've seen at St James Park then you lot all have appalling memories. Yes it was dull and unproductive, but not having much of the ball the ball and constantly giving it away with misplaced passes and hopeful lumps forward is, to my mind, far more unattractive to watch. And having the ball meant that they didn't, again, not a huge positive in itself, but a welcome absence of a negative. Presumably, on that showing, the Cambridge manager is a tactical genius compared to Caldwell. Setting up purely to defend against a toothless team, a team racked with a lack of confidence and with the fans on the manager's back - an absolute masterstroke. Recruit him immediately

Disappointed with Purrington. Wildschutt seemed to spend most of the game glued to the touchline. Agree with the comment that Rankine and Cole probably being saved for Rovers. The short corner routine was beyond absurd
You’ve lost it chum

manc grecian

If that's the worst game you've seen at St James Park then you lot all have appalling memories. Yes it was dull and unproductive, but not having much of the ball the ball and constantly giving it away with misplaced passes and hopeful lumps forward is, to my mind, far more unattractive to watch. And having the ball meant that they didn't, again, not a huge positive in itself, but a welcome absence of a negative. Presumably, on that showing, the Cambridge manager is a tactical genius compared to Caldwell. Setting up purely to defend against a toothless team, a team racked with a lack of confidence and with the fans on the manager's back - an absolute masterstroke. Recruit him immediately

Disappointed with Purrington. Wildschutt seemed to spend most of the game glued to the touchline. Agree with the comment that Rankine and Cole probably being saved for Rovers. The short corner routine was beyond absurd
So we keep the ball to stop the opposition scoring and have no idea what to do with it going forward. Guess what...we aren't going to score many goals and everyone will be bored to tears in the process.

Cambridge came for a point and didn't have to work very hard for it.

JGrecian23

View attachment 14565
View attachment 14566
He's getting a bit Danny Coles now. We all know the game. You play football you have to take the stick.

Let's not pretend the little 15 year old with his Stone Island gear on yelling abuse and swearing at the players is all innocent. He also needs to take it.

crocks

Been back half an hour and just about thawed out. I have no idea why I went today. Bloody mug! Suffice to say, it will be a long time before I go again.

I always try and get a seat in Block D of the Stagecoach which is difficult as 90% of the block is ST holders. There were 6 seats to my right that are normally occupied by ST holders. They were empty today.

The first half was dreadful, a bit of a brighter spark in the second. I just wonder whether the players are encouraged to think for themselves. They were obviously told to take short corners and continued to persist with them even it was clear to a blind man that they were not working. Finally, Sweenz (legend) took responsibility for the corners and swung it in, which produced a half chance. Shocker!

I beg the Board, PLEASE, get rid of Caldwell. He is ruining the club that I love.

Bridgy 81

View attachment 14565
View attachment 14566
I don’t think it’s wise for players to engage with fans on social media like this.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Unless I misread the interview earlier in the week,I thought Nicholson warned against the futility of confrontation with the fans.