• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Leyton Orient v Exeter City Matchday thread 14/08/2021 3pm KO

Grecianpasty

At least now Kite (and hopefully Dyer) will get their opportunity.

Albumen

Also… not sure if this is good or not, Leyton Orient really weren’t that great. They played very direct and we didnt trouble their centre halves, but it wasn’t like they completely outplayed us. I know they are fancied this season, but i think if that penalty had gone in we may have scared them over 90 mins. Let’s see how this week goes. But my instinct says that we will at least challenge for the Playoffs again this season.

ExmouthMart

Not the best result obviously but way too soon to be judging anyone. Hopefully as Taylor said we get our bad spell out of the way at the beginning of the season. We are desperately short of depth to the squad and this needs to be addressed. Even without the injuries and covid positive tests we would have been very light.
Its disappointing but that’s all it is. Still think if we get the balance right with what we already have and a few more signings we will be okay. What’s the alternative?! We don’t do knee jerk reactions at City so anyone hoping for a change will be disappointed.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Everyone’s ****** off, except you & Memphis . You appear to relish and revel in every defeat.
Raleighnc and memphis, what a pair, it's like we have the Dem'port End chapter of the Proud Boys in our midst ! 😎

Memphis09

Memphis09

I just did, she said you were a tw@t whether we won or lost, so I’m not sure that worked out well for you.
She’s ok when we draw though
Did she tell you that

StudentGrecian

Also… not sure if this is good or not, Leyton Orient really weren’t that great. They played very direct and we didnt trouble their centre halves, but it wasn’t like they completely outplayed us. I know they are fancied this season, but i think if that penalty had gone in we may have scared them over 90 mins. Let’s see how this week goes. But my instinct says that we will at least challenge for the Playoffs again this season.
I think the fact that they weren’t that good is what makes it worse. They beat us 3-0 and we didn’t have a sniff at their goal bar from the spot, I’d consider that being outplayed.
MT keeps bemoaning our physicality year on year, yet we never seem to do anything about it. Not many teams will beat us playing attractive football, because this is league 2 after all, but lots of teams will beat us physically. We needed a leader to get us going against after the early goal, but we spent the rest of the half playing the same way.
There’s potential but we need a couple more big players IMO.

dontpassback

Just seen the highlights,the defending for the first two was none existent,jays penalty kick was pathetic and if Matt Taylor or anyone else for that matter thinks this is acceptable needs a word with themselves,pathetic,doesn’t even begin to cover it 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
I like Matt and think he can do a good job but he’s had months
and months to bring in some quality sigoing’s and that’s
before we’ve got another big fee for selling Joel.
The last two signings seem to be panic signings at the last
minUte.
Jonathan Grounds just because he played in the championship
at his peak doesn’t mean is what we need now, he was in a
Swindon side that shipped a lot of goals and managed to
get 12 yellow cards ,that should have been a warning Of
maybe lacking pace .

Padraig Amond could turnout okay but his interview at the
C&F he said he only knew of our interest 4 hours before,
that does smack of lack of foreword planning,also he only scored
once in his last 31 games for a Newport side that lost at
Wembley.

We still need a couple of strikers a winger and ball playing
midfielder.
Don’t expect to get any of them.
I think this is a fair summation of the current situation. I have watched all 3 games via I-follow and certainly don't want to overreact after only 3 games. However; I do feel the team have been on a decline since January. Our Recruitment in January was poor (Stubbs who still hasn't played a minute, and Wilmott who was a last minute signing after we missed out on our targets), ultimately cost us making the playoffs.

I, like most fans went into this summer with a lot of optimism regarding the players Matt said he would be going after. However; I do feel underwhelmed and the squad is definitely weaker at this moment in time than it was last year. There is also a distinct lack of leadership within the squad which is concerning. I know many thought it was a great move making MJ captain and I do feel he is a great person and has the respect of the dressing room. However, as soon as it was announced I immediately thought that this was by 'default' as we haven't been able to bring in the players that MT would have liked to have been captain material. Watching today, it only really seemed like Dawson was the one trying to keep the players going. On a couple of occasions, even at 3-0 down he was running out to Sweeney and Ray and trying to push them on and to keep going.

We obviously have been unfortunate with injuries and COVID, but it just all seems like a bit of a mess at the moment and we shouldn't be in this situation where our squad seems all over the place at the start of the season. MT has said himself that Dieng and Grounds weren't expected to play this many minutes this early which is due to them seemingly being last minute signings, hence missing most of pre-season with us etc. No offence to Grounds as I don't think we can judge him yet, but I would have preferred us to have done more to keep Lewis Page in all honesty.

Currently we look like a club who are struggling financially trying to put a squad together last minute, which obviously isn't the case. I'm not sure what has gone on this summer, but it is turning out to be extremely disappointing and Matt still has a lot of work to do before now and the end of August to put this right.

I have backed Matt and still hope he comes good, but I don't think the fans are wrong to question our recruitment in the past two transfer windows. It has certainly left us with a depleted and weaker squad than we have had in a long time.

Still hoping we bring in at least two quality signings that improve our starting 11 and aren't just squad players......fingers crossed.

Memphis09

What's in front of me??? You, you with your constant fekkin moaning rants. How long have I been watching city? WTF has that got to do with anything? Have you been miserable all of your life?
I must be
Still I will be there Saturday
You will recognise me I am the one with my chin on the floor
Keep smiling you cheer up