• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Leyton Orient v Exeter City Matchday thread 14/08/2021 3pm KO

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think it a legitimate question to ask as to whether we thanks to our healthy bank balance have moved on from being a club that promotes an untried and untested manager from within to be in charge of our recruitment (and all that dosh) and have in fact reached the happy position where we can employ a more experienced manager, maybe with better contacts and more coaching gravitas who may be better able to spend our enhanced budget to get those elusive marquee signings we now obviously need.
Just a thought.

CraigECFC

For those who went/ watched, how did Rowe do when he came on? I'm guessing he might get a few more chances now with Jack out.
Hard to judge because they mostly passed it round the back for the last 15/20 minutes... But he made a good defensive interception to stop a guaranteed goal and put in one good delivery.

iscalad

Thanks to all who mentioned Gerry Fekkin Francis. Made my bad day even worse.
Anyways only 2 games in, no need to panic just yet.

Grecianpasty

Unfortunate with all the injuries we have, but hopefully we can bring a couple players in on loan and a permanent signing.

A left sided winger/ attacking midfielder is an absolute must.

I would also bring in two strikers. We are desperate for a big man (not Akinde).

Can someone explain MT's thought process around playing Seymour up top on his own? I don't think you need to be a football manager to know that's complete madness.

Steve Moran3

I’m not sure in this day in age even in L2 having a “big man” up top is always the way to go - encourages route 1 imho - unless they are also quick and good on the ball in which case they won’t be playing in L2. Our best stickers in recent years were clever good finishers - except maybe Stockley who was big clever and a good finisher. Examples being erm Steve Moran, Sean Devine, Cureton, Nardiello. Adam Stansfield. Interestingly pretty sure Harley scored more than most of the strikers above from midfield. What we’d give now for someone as good as him.

ryancooper327

I once again just feel for Scott, Craig and the team. They do such a great job and I hope they’re not knocked by the comments. They have to produce content in the coming days knowing the comments will just be ‘taylor out’ and ‘sign someone’. Must be proper tough.

tonykellowfan

I've always been a supporter of MT, but the thing which made me think twice was Jake going to Stevenage. The front 6 of last season, Taylor, Collins, Jay, Randall, Bowman and Williams 4 have now left the club, Collins is injured and Jay is playing a different role which does not seem to suit him. I don't think the squad is better this season and that must raise questions.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
The club should offer the City fans who travelled a refund. Many wouldn't take up the offer but it would be a nice gesture considering that performance was just so bad.

Red Devon

The club should offer the City fans who travelled a refund. Many wouldn't take up the offer but it would be a nice gesture considering that performance was just so bad.
The best way to make it up to the fans is to go to Barrow and get a result!!

StudentGrecian

I’m not sure in this day in age even in L2 having a “big man” up top is always the way to go - encourages route 1 imho - unless they are also quick and good on the ball in which case they won’t be playing in L2. Our best stickers in recent years were clever good finishers - except maybe Stockley who was big clever and a good finisher. Examples being erm Steve Moran, Sean Devine, Cureton, Nardiello. Adam Stansfield. Interestingly pretty sure Harley scored more than most of the strikers above from midfield. What we’d give now for someone as good as him.
I agree it doesn’t have to be the way to go, and I was really looking forward to seeing how we were going to play with Nombe. But the evidence so far is that we will keep trying to lump it into our strikers, even when it clearly won’t work with the personnel we have. MT doesn’t seem to want to play any other way. Like today, I’m not Seymour’s biggest fan, but what chance does he have when we are trying to whip balls into him?

I see the potential in the plan to use MJ and Brown as a link to Nombe, but so far we’ve not been able to get them involved in the games. IMO, we are desperate for a deep lying playmaker that can find them and get them more involved.

Last edited: