• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Covid in the camp

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
What on earth are the vaccinations doing if our cases are rising higher
Preventing case numbers being even higher still. We’ve just come out of lockdown measures with no requirements for either masks or social distancing - if we didn’t have a significant number of the population vaccinated we’d have the same levels of cases, and more importantly hospitalisations and deaths as we did when the first lockdowns were announced.

Personally I think close contacts should do what’s being proposed for schools when they return: instead of everyone isolating only the positive one isolates with the close contacts having daily LFTs until the isolation period is up so they can continue working Without the un disruption.

Alistair20000

Pretty depressing to see cases rising in the UK and Ireland despite our vaccination rates (~90% for one jab; ~70% double-jabbed) when you look at, say, India (home of the Delta variant) with a very low vaccination rate (~8%) whose cases are at their lowest level in 5 months.

What on earth are the vaccinations doing if our cases are rising higher, during the height of summer, than in India where the new strain actually emerged!? I know two double-jabbed people who've caught Covid for the first time this month. Are the vaccinations encouraging people to take more risks or are they simply as ineffective as the stats imply?
Take the statistics from India with a large handful of salt. The recording there is very primitive and inaccurate.

Grecian2K

I say, at least let the Barrow game go ahead (and not just for Hants' sake)

Think about it...all crammed together on a long distance coach. They'll have probably all have achieved "herd immunity" before they even get past Strensham services!

Boyo

Personally I think close contacts should do what’s being proposed for schools when they return: instead of everyone isolating only the positive one isolates with the close contacts having daily LFTs until the isolation period is up so they can continue working Without the un disruption.
That's exactly what is happening from Monday, for those who are double jabbed.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bob Lord.. TW@T
I might be wrong but I thought it was Alan Hardaker.

Smithyno6

Hopefully the club announce it tomorrow due to some leaving on the Friday. I don’t feel very hopeful reading the Devon Live article.

jrg333

The numbers we are seeing this summer with only minor restrictions in place are significantly lower than what would have happened last winter. That's the impact of the vaccine.
You're still overlooking the difference between winter and summer. A peak in a respiratory disease in July is absolutely unheard of. And that's not to mention that the peak has coincided with the fastest, largest roll out of vaccinations in UK history. A guess about 'what would have happened' without vaccines does not satisfy me here. No legitimate scientist would ever predict a rise in cases to coincide with the summer season and a mass vaccination programme.

Whatever we are doing, it's not working. Countries that are not vaccinating as quickly as us, and with fewer restrictions on public life, such as Sweden (~40% double jabbed), are seeing lower growth rates in new cases than us. They have also had fewer deaths per capita so no one can argue it's due to their most vulnerable members of the population already dying of Covid.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hopefully the club announce it tomorrow due to some leaving on the Friday. I don’t feel very hopeful reading the Devon Live article.
if its in Devon Live we will probably be fine

Ash

You're still overlooking the difference between winter and summer. A peak in a respiratory disease in July is absolutely unheard of. And that's not to mention that the peak has coincided with the fastest, largest roll out of vaccinations in UK history. A guess about 'what would have happened' without vaccines does not satisfy me here. No legitimate scientist would ever predict a rise in cases to coincide with the summer season and a mass vaccination programme.

Whatever we are doing, it's not working. Countries that are not vaccinating as quickly as us, and with fewer restrictions on public life, such as Sweden (~40% double jabbed), are seeing lower growth rates in new cases than us. They have also had fewer deaths per capita so no one can argue it's due to their most vulnerable members of the population already dying of Covid.
The UK has a huge population density compared with most countries, certainly Sweden. With an R0 of around 8-9, the delta variant of COVID is far more transmissible than pretty much every other respiratory disease humans have ever encountered. That being the case, I don't think it's surprising in the slightest that we're seeing a rise in infection rates during the summer months under these conditions. Flu, colds and the like simply aren't contagious enough to produce a similar result.

Last edited:

Boyo

In the winter we were locked down. People weren’t allowed to mix and a lot of society was essentially closed. In July you could mix with 60,000 at Wembley or with pretty much anyone, anywhere (except clubs).

Numbers went bonkers in June/July because we didn’t close the border to India and we let the Delta variant in which is more contagious than Alpha (winter variant).