• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Covid in the camp

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Rather than derail the match day thread.

Matt had admitted a number of players have had a positive test along with one member of staff.

Reading Andy Holt on Twitter (Accrington owner) it is clear that the EFL do not have rules covering how many players needed for a postponement. So maybe it's up to Exeter to ask for postponement.

Personally I'd be far from happy for the next 3 games to be postponed as they are fully planned with train tickets bought and a hotel in Barrow booked.

i8cornwall

It's a difficult one for the club and Matt because what ever they decide to do will wind someone up.

If we play then lose the games then people will moan that the games should have been called off and we have had a poor start etc, then pressure mounts on Matt and the players from some quarters of the fan base.

But if we cancel people like yourself Hants will be out of pocket and annoyed, and the games will start to pile up and we run the risk of burning out like we did towards the end of last season.

I'm happy I'm not making the decision, that's if there is one to be made as you would hope the EFL would take matters out of clubs hands with this....oh no wait sorry I forgot this is the EFL isn't it.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Andy Holt this morning has been scathing about EFL decision makers who worked from home during the pandemic making decisions on Clubs who got on with playing football as best they could, but asking for postponements as a result when Covid hit them. :)

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
That was a interesting read...I fear he is correct when he said a few clubs took the pi55 out of the Covid situation for postponements last season to rest players.

There will have to be a common criteria for a Covid postponement.Squads are usually 23/24 these days with the ridiculous amount of subs allowed.Perhaps 7 isolating would be the amount to trigger a P-P

Banksy

On the other hand , if some of our players are now carrying injuries, Dieng for instance , then it might be a good thing to if we can postpone and get them out of the way at the same time .On that note , it bodes ill seeing so many players fall to injuries so early in the season , they must be made of paper mache!

Devonboy

On the other hand , if some of our players are now carrying injuries, Dieng for instance , then it might be a good thing to if we can postpone and get them out of the way at the same time .On that note , it bodes ill seeing so many players fall to injuries so early in the season , they must be made of paper mache!

Sick jokes aside, if Covid-19 is "out and about" in a team with a number testing positive, then how confident can anyone be that the other players are (or will be) Covid free come the game - with the risk of further cases, hospitalisations, etc...

There should be some guidelines. We are steering unchartered waters.

Positive spin

Wonder how many of the players and staff have been vaccinated.
Presumably a lot of the younger ones would not yet be double vaccinated even if they wanted to.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Rather than derail the match day thread.

Matt had admitted a number of players have had a positive test along with one member of staff.

Reading Andy Holt on Twitter (Accrington owner) it is clear that the EFL do not have rules covering how many players needed for a postponement. So maybe it's up to Exeter to ask for postponement.

Personally I'd be far from happy for the next 3 games to be postponed as they are fully planned with train tickets bought and a hotel in Barrow booked.
It's tempting to think that postponing games provides a benefit but, in reality it really doesn't. All you end up with is a backlog of matches that have to be played midweek, adding to fixture congestion. In the end it benefits nobody and should only be used in extreme circumstances imo.

denzel

Do we know how many Harrogate players were affected?

simcity

Do we know how many Harrogate players were affected?
Not sure the number has been made public. The EFL statement advised that Harrogate requested the rescheduling of the games so i guess it's down to the club itself to start the process based on how they feel they're affected.