• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
"According to a report for Sky News, further local lockdowns similar to the one in force in Leicester could be “just days away”. There are 36 local authority areas where the number of coronavirus cases is growing, Sky reports, and it claims that “the City of Bradford and boroughs in London, including Brent and Harrow, could be the next to lockdown”.

mmm...now what links Leicester, Bradford, Brent & Harrow...let me see....mmm
Plymouth is one of the 36 - However, you look at the numbers behind the 36 and they are minimal - more scaremongering I feel

Legohead

Banned
What links them ...Now let me see, mmmm. .. A racist?
Mr Jinx is pointing out that a number of areas with increased outbreaks coincidentally happen to have a large ethnic community. Where I grew up and lived for almost 25 years, Doncaster is highly touted to be the next lockdown town. Doncaster also has a significant Asian and ethnic population. I don't think it is fair to call Mr Jinx a racist when he's simply pointing out that there does seem to be some connection between the places at risk of lockdown and large ethnic populations. Rochdale was another place listed as at risk of lockdown and again it does have a large community of ethnically diverse people.

One reason could be poverty of course and the tendency for many family members to live together but that also could suggest that as family is so important to these communities culturally that they find it very difficult to remain isolated from extended family members even if they could do so and they have perhaps been mixing too freely as a result.

I really don't know but I feel that it is not racist to simply point things out and ask questions. There may be no basis in this whatsoever but it's an assumption that isn't racist IMO.

Reactions: DB9

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Parts of Kent, London, north Wales and Scotland are still battling significant Covid-19 outbreaks, sparking fears from scientists and public health directors that Leicester’s return to lockdown is set to be repeated.

Seems that the second wave is coming to various parts of the country, regardless of the locations of demos or demography. .
It had to happen as soon as the lockdown was relaxed. The hope is that the 2nd wave is not so serious as the first
Genuine question, but what is the second wave? Do first wave cases need to fall below a certain level to consider that done?

Legohead

Banned
Genuine question, but what is the second wave? Do first wave cases need to fall below a certain level to consider that done?
I had read somewhere that a second wave probably won't be coming but more pockets of outbreaks as we are seeing now being classed as mini second waves. Not sure how accurate this is and i'm not sure the people qualified to be saying these things know how accurate it is either.

IndoMike

Mr Jinx is pointing out that a number of areas with increased outbreaks coincidentally happen to have a large ethnic community. Where I grew up and lived for almost 25 years, Doncaster is highly touted to be the next lockdown town. Doncaster also has a significant Asian and ethnic population. I don't think it is fair to call Mr Jinx a racist when he's simply pointing out that there does seem to be some connection between the places at risk of lockdown and large ethnic populations. Rochdale was another place listed as at risk of lockdown and again it does have a large community of ethnically diverse people.

One reason could be poverty of course and the tendency for many family members to live together but that also could suggest that as family is so important to these communities culturally that they find it very difficult to remain isolated from extended family members even if they could do so and they have perhaps been mixing too freely as a result.

I really don't know but I feel that it is not racist to simply point things out and ask questions. There may be no basis in this whatsoever but it's an assumption that isn't racist IMO.
I didn't call him a racist You inferred that
Outbreaks of covid have not been restricted to areas with high ratios of immigrants. Therefore it is irrelevant to highlight that.
And that's not only true in the UK, but in other European countries.
The dramatic outbreak in Lombardy Italy began in Bergamo, an affluent, white society. Other areas of Italy with large immigrant communities were not badly hit

DB9

Genuine question, but what is the second wave?
Perhaps think of it as an Earthquake, The first is a real 7/8 on the Richter Scale and then there are smaller Tremors after, Those Tremors could be a second wave. I might be totally wrong and have no proof, Its just my thinking of it.

IndoMike

I guess when it is assumed that the data indicate that the numbers of deaths and infections have decreased significantly whereupon they start to rise again . That's my interpretation, anyway. I also guess you can have a first wave starting up in one area whilst a second wave is starting up in another.

IndoMike

I had read somewhere that a second wave probably won't be coming but more pockets of outbreaks as we are seeing now being classed as mini second waves. Not sure how accurate this is and i'm not sure the people qualified to be saying these things know how accurate it is either.
Depends on who you believe.

Legohead

Banned
I didn't call him a racist You inferred that
Outbreaks of covid have not been restricted to areas with high ratios of immigrants. Therefore it is irrelevant to highlight that.
And that's not only true in the UK, but in other European countries.
The dramatic outbreak in Lombardy Italy began in Bergamo, an affluent, white society. Other areas of Italy with large immigrant communities were not badly hit
Apologies Mike.

I think it's just important to try and get to the bottom of these localised outbreaks to try and find out what may be fuelling them regardless of community or race etc. If there are patterns forming then let's investigate them. The high numbers of cases in Italy could also be do to with that close knit extended family culture that they have over there combined with a lot more of the elderly. As the same can be said of asian communites so maybe it's not a question of race but simply that some cultures and people from other countries live like this in a manner which allows the virus to spread more easily.

IndoMike

Apologies Mike.

I think it's just important to try and get to the bottom of these localised outbreaks to try and find out what may be fuelling them regardless of community or race etc. If there are patterns forming then let's investigate them. The high numbers of cases in Italy could also be do to with that close knit extended family culture that they have over there combined with a lot more of the elderly. As the same can be said of asian communites so maybe it's not a question of race but simply that some cultures and people from other countries live like this in a manner which allows the virus to spread more easily.
No need to apologize at all, Lego. It's just a disagreement : quite normal on Exeweb for me 🙄😆
I guess what I'm saying is that just because there are infections in some immigrant areas it doesn't mean it's because the local population is immigrant. There could be other reasons. For example in Leicester I believe there is a meat processing plant and several factories. These places are often very noisy so people have to shout to be heard, therefore giving their surroundings a Roy Hattersley- type spraying . And it's true what I said about Bergamo.
So my point is why focus on areas with immigrant populations? As they say, Covid19 doesn't respect race, religion and apparently not even age.