• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Manager Thread..Appointments & Dismissals

sign of the chimes

Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich :oops:

dontpassback

Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich :oops:
I didn’t expect that,I thought they were improving

sign of the chimes

I didn’t expect that,I thought they were improving
Cook has his flaws but is a manager with a decent track record of success - promotions from L2 with Chesterfield (followed by a L1 play-off campaign), Pompey; and from L1 to the Championship with Wigan. The CEO at Ipswich wasn't too popular with Bristol City fans during his tenure there (I think he was at Oxford before that) so, speculatively wonder if it's a power-dynamic thing.

The other possibity is that he doesn't really fit with the culture at the club. Without going in to detail there were tales recounted by Chesterfield fans that are consistent with tales recounted by ours that might be more of a problem for some owners than others. Nothing desperately scandalous (and for some not an issue at all) may I add.

older-codger

McAvoy sacked by Preston. Wonder how this will affect Storey and any add-ons. He doesn't appear to have been in the picture recently

sign of the chimes

McAvoy sacked by Preston. Wonder how this will affect Storey and any add-ons. He doesn't appear to have been in the picture recently
This sacking is a lesson in why football is bonkers. Sack Alex Neil - replace him with unfancied (cheap?) option - sack the replacement for not setting the world alight with limited resources. Rinse and repeat. Presumably Ridsdale is still involved somewhere there?

dontpassback

This sacking is a lesson in why football is bonkers. Sack Alex Neil - replace him with unfancied (cheap?) option - sack the replacement for not setting the world alight with limited resources. Rinse and repeat. Presumably Ridsdale is still involved somewhere there?
It appears that PNE are interested in the scouse chancer down the A38,so best of luck with that !

sign of the chimes

It appears that PNE are interested in the scouse chancer down the A38,so best of luck with that !
Local rivalries aside he'd not be a bad appointment for them, though not sure they'll get better than the manager who they had before last. I'd have thought Appleton would be a good fit though; assuming the CEO at Ipswich, Ashton, isn't making overtures to reunite with him (think they worked together at Oxford).

Last edited:

dontpassback

Local rivalries aside he'd not be a bad appointment for them, though not sure they'll get better than the manager who they had before last. I'd have thought Appleton would be a good fit though; assuming the CEO at Ipswich, Ashton, isn't making overtures to reunite with him (think they worked together at Oxford).
He won’t be a bad appointment for PNE,he will be a terrible one,he thinks he is better than he is just because he is mates with Gerrard and some other scousers.when he was asked at a fans forum about playing us in the derby match his response was very glib and disrespectful,he got a 4 nil thrashing and the team was booed off the pitch,they got promoted because of the covid ppg rules and the first season back in league one,they just managed to stay up.it is credit to Simon hallett that he didn’t sack him then,and although derek Adams is a dour Scot,his record of managing argyle is better than Lowe and Adams had a smaller budget,so time will tell

cannockred

Argyle reprinting their 2022 calendar giving a free replacement to fans who have already purchased it. Ryan Lowe is on the front. Bitter argyle? Never😀😀😀😀😀😃😃

sign of the chimes

He won’t be a bad appointment for PNE,he will be a terrible one,he thinks he is better than he is just because he is mates with Gerrard and some other scousers.when he was asked at a fans forum about playing us in the derby match his response was very glib and disrespectful,he got a 4 nil thrashing and the team was booed off the pitch,they got promoted because of the covid ppg rules and the first season back in league one,they just managed to stay up.it is credit to Simon hallett that he didn’t sack him then,and although derek Adams is a dour Scot,his record of managing argyle is better than Lowe and Adams had a smaller budget,so time will tell
Yes, as you say time will tell. I do think Lowe has the gift of the gab, but even with the circumstances/asterisks attached to his successes at Bury and Plymouth there are plenty of managers who wouldn't have delivered as he has and played some pretty football as well). However, PNE isn't an easy job given their relative resources compared to other Championship clubs. It may be tough for him to get a side playing as he wants without undermining a large part of what has kept them in the Championship for a fair old time now.

The appointment of McAvoy to replace Neil - who overachieved for most of his stay at Deepdale - seemed bizarre at the time and even more so now, given they've sacked him after six months with them just about where most would expect them to be in that division.

Hallett seems to have been a pretty steady hand in terms of his decision making. It will be interesting for this outsider to see how the continuity appointment of Schumacher pans out (currently 1-0 down in a match that I don't want either side to win ;-)) Lowe/Dewsnip/Schumacher and whoever else involved in the recruitment there has built a decent squad mainly of players that others didn't fancy at L1 level.