• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Mansfield Town Match Day Thread

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
It seems to be a hallmark of City under MT. I can never find a pattern to our play and like you say we certainly did not control that game today, at least not for long.

Aside from his assist, Amond made a huge difference. His movement gives the opposition defence another thing to think about. It was noticeable Nombe sprung into life and had those chances when Amond was on the pitch.

Jay's all-round play is back to what we were seeing last season.

Three games in a week has done Archie a world of good and he's looking sharper than last Saturday.

Dieng was good again. Another good summer acquisition.

The disappointment for me today was Edwards. Wasn't on his game. Lost count of how many times he mis-controlled.

Taylor seems to get a nosebleed in the final third. He's good at carrying the ball and retaining possession in the middle of the park but wasteful higher up the pitch.

Key looks unplayable sometimes. A highlight of the game for me was when he dropped his shoulder, sending their defender off on a wild goose chase. Just needs a bit more end product.

Hartridge and Sweeney did well. Dawson didn't have much to do really, though that may be due to Mansfield being wasteful in front of goal.

So, overall 6 out of 10 for me today.
I would sacrifice Jay to allow the development of a Nombe-Amond partnership as I don't think Jay's all round game is as good as it was last season and in the current system he is getting a bit too Lee Martin for my liking, ten yards too far behind Nombe leaving him isolated when the ball gets fired in to him. If he had Podge playing right up beside him, Podges movement would open up the spaces for Nombe to exploit and I think Podge would get the goals that Jay is, to be fair to him, still scoring.

Exehausted

Yes. He has. I hope those those who moaned that he wasn't a so-called 'marquee' signing are eating their words now.
To be fair, apart from Nombe, people on here were underwhelmed by all of our signings. Our scouting network was useless, we had our biggest ever budget but after two games all of the new signings had been written off. Well after just 14 games things are starting to come together with hopefully a lot more to come. People were sucked in by negative comments from other clubs supporters. Well Nombe has done well as expected, but the players that we "took a chance on", like Brown, who has been outstanding and Coley has also looked good if a little raw which is totally understandable. Ray has been solid and as others have noted, a little unlucky to be left out as we went four at the back today. Daniels is also improving and Dieng is going about his work with a real efficiency. Taylor also had a fair game today despite not really being a right winger. Dawson has been a great loan signing and Amond, although he hasn't played much, has made a difference when he's come on, like today. Well done to our scouting team, whoever they are, it's looking good so far. Long may it continue!

DB9

We've gone behind in all three games this week, four times in all, yet still come back to pick up 7 points. Says a lot about the team's attitude & resilliance.
I think it's also a lot to with that the first time in years we have a bench that can make a real difference when they come on, This has been our problem in the past, When we're losing you'd look at our bench and ask "Who've we got to come on an take the game by the scruff of the neck and change things?" Now I think our bench could be the envy of quite a few teams.

Pobbop

I would sacrifice Jay to allow the development of a Nombe-Amond partnership as I don't think Jay's all round game is as good as it was last season and in the current system he is getting a bit too Lee Martin for my liking, ten yards too far behind Nombe leaving him isolated when the ball gets fired in to him. If he had Podge playing right up beside him, Podges movement would open up the spaces for Nombe to exploit and I think Podge would get the goals that Jay is, to be fair to him, still scoring.
insanity

grecIAN Harris

Try it and see if I'm wrong (and I don't mean after just one game, like all good partnerships it needs a little time to develop). I'd bet I'm closer to being right than being insane.

iscalad

Dieng has been a huge signing
Deadly from 3 yards, with his head

Pobbop

Try it and see if I'm wrong (and I don't mean after just one game, like all good partnerships it needs a little time to develop). I'd bet I'm closer to being right than being insane.
I'd rather not try it, than drop a guy who was top-scorer last year for us, and is the the joint top-scorer in the division this year, but hey I've always been a bit unhinged.

fred binneys head

Deadly from 3 yards, with his head
And his foot (Scunthorpe).

Antony Moxey

If Dawson had let Jays header in on his near post as he did, I would have gone off my head! That wasnt a good goal, I suspect the keeper anticipated a rocket from that range!
Genuinely, f*** off. You’re only here to troll so just f*** off and post on the site of the team you actually support rather than this one.

Antony Moxey

I'd bet I'm closer to being right than being insane.
There’s a first time for everything.