• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Mansfield Town Match Day Thread

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
If Dawson had let Jays header in on his near post as he did, I would have gone off my head! That wasnt a good goal, I suspect the keeper anticipated a rocket from that range!

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
If Dawson had let Jays header in on his near post as he did, I would have gone off my head! That wasnt a good goal, I suspect the keeper anticipated a rocket from that range!
It was a winning goal thats all that matters

paperclip

How on earth is Nigel Clough still in a job?

tonykellowfan

Dieng has been a huge signing

paperclip

Dieng has been a huge signing
Yes. He has. I hope those those who moaned that he wasn't a so-called 'marquee' signing are eating their words now.

Steve Moran3

We've gone behind in all three games this week, four times in all, yet still come back to pick up 7 points. Says a lot about the team's attitude & resilliance.
Yep shame we don’t start how we finish each week (excluding Rovers)!

Grecian_Matt

How on earth is Nigel Clough still in a job?
He wasn't playing Tisdale, otherwise a defeat by us with Tisdale in charge would of resulted in his sacking.

I really hope that we keep hold of Jay in January, a lot of clubs will be interested.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Stags Estate Agents today’s match sponsor as if 😂

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've got to be honest, I didn't see the same game as Matt Taylor. He says we were in control from start to finish. It's not quite how I'd describe it. Mansfield were poor and carried no attacking threat but we really did little to disturb them in the first half.
The second half started well with Jay forcing a good save out if the keeper and you're thinking 'Well at least Matt has sent them out with a rocket up their arse' and then we go and concede from a silly free kick with Sweeney off the pitch injured whilst conceding said silly free kick. And then on comes Podge. He didn't have to be brilliant, he just did things with intelligence and forward thought like set up Dieng by chasing the ball down before it crossed the dead ball line, spinning and floating up a cross up that was just asking to be buried by Dieng. Had it been any other player than Podge you can be sure they would have rescued the ball but then almost certainly would have looked to lay it off to Daniel at full back. On that substitution, why Taylor came off instead of Edwards is anyone's guess. Taylor had done a decent job in an unfamiliar position whilst Edwards did little other than a good impression of a brick wall, everything that came to him bounced at least three yards off of him.
From then on it was just a case of when not if we would score and then how much time would be left to score more. Brown came on for the hapless Edwards and increased the attacking intensity along with Podges running opening up spaces. Eventually Collins found himself skipping down the right and setting up that man mountain Matt Jay to bury another header in from an angle that he no right of thinking of scoring from. From there on Nombe should have had a hattrick having waltzed around the keeper, after finally getting the sort of service he thrives off, only to make a mess if actually putting the ball in the net. Then he scuffed a chance you'd expect him to score from in the form he is in and finally cannoned one against the post from an acute angle.
We deserved to win but it wasn't the complete control that Matt Taylor suggested.
It seems to be a hallmark of City under MT. I can never find a pattern to our play and like you say we certainly did not control that game today, at least not for long.

Aside from his assist, Amond made a huge difference. His movement gives the opposition defence another thing to think about. It was noticeable Nombe sprung into life and had those chances when Amond was on the pitch.

Jay's all-round play is back to what we were seeing last season.

Three games in a week has done Archie a world of good and he's looking sharper than last Saturday.

Dieng was good again. Another good summer acquisition.

The disappointment for me today was Edwards. Wasn't on his game. Lost count of how many times he mis-controlled.

Taylor seems to get a nosebleed in the final third. He's good at carrying the ball and retaining possession in the middle of the park but wasteful higher up the pitch.

Key looks unplayable sometimes. A highlight of the game for me was when he dropped his shoulder, sending their defender off on a wild goose chase. Just needs a bit more end product.

Hartridge and Sweeney did well. Dawson didn't have much to do really, though that may be due to Mansfield being wasteful in front of goal.

So, overall 6 out of 10 for me today.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
What was your thoughts on the result, Pete? Pleased with the win?