• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ryan Bowman..... (to Shrewsbury)

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bowman is far more than just about the goals he scored. If you can't see his value to the team then really there isn't much point debating it any further.
I covered this I think - when he gets it right, yes his all round game is good and beyond goals. However it is this for me where he will go missing in at least a third of the games we play. Beyond his sometimes poor finishing, he isn't consistent enough. And yes, at L2 you can get consistency still.

Rosencrantz

I covered this I think - when he gets it right, yes his all round game is good and beyond goals. However it is this for me where he will go missing in at least a third of the games we play. Beyond his sometimes poor finishing, he isn't consistent enough. And yes, at L2 you can get consistency still.
That's what comes from not having enough strength in depth. It's quite rare for a player to be on it throughout a season so you need to rotate at times to freshen things up or account for a dip in form. It goes back to that Bowman is probably good enough to be in a promotion team, but we need the other strikers in the squad to be better in order to back him up when those quiet times hit. Our last promotion team/squad is a good example.

IndoMike

That's what comes from not having enough strength in depth. It's quite rare for a player to be on it throughout a season so you need to rotate at times to freshen things up or account for a dip in form. It goes back to that Bowman is probably good enough to be in a promotion team, but we need the other strikers in the squad to be better in order to back him up when those quiet times hit. Our last promotion team/squad is a good example.
No, he isn't good enough. He misses too many chances, doesn't attack the ball in the penalty area, and his "assist" record is very poor. As a back- up he'll have to do I expect, but not as main striker. We won't get promoted if he is

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
In terms of goals Bowman went missing for around two thirds to three quarters of the season.

As I said earlier he did well in November and part of December. Strip that period out and his goals record over the course of the season was poor.

He scored 6 goals in 2 games, the trebles against Colchester and Tranmere. He only scored 8 other goals in a 46 game season. That is poor.

He also only contributed 3 assists.

The likes of you and tonykellow seem to think that is just an opinion, it isn't, I am backing it up with the stats, it's all there in black and white.

Last edited:

Rosencrantz

The season before Bowman had scored 14 by the time the season was curtailed, at approx one in three strike rate and more spread out. This season has gone differently and he wasn't as consistent with a drop off late after Christmas like the rest of the side. What's to say that in a less compressed season, with more competitive alternatives he can't get back to what he showed the season before?

Of course it would nice to have a nailed on twenty plus goal striker who can hold the ball up, bring others into play, works hard for ninety minutes plus and all. But it is how many we score as a team that counts. If MJ and Joel keep up their scoring rates and the new right wing and other strike option offers more than this season we will be up there.

That's not to say we cannot cope without Ryan. There will be other options. But not many other strike combos in L2 got more than 32 league goals between them this season. And that's before you add in Joel Randall who missed a large chunk.

I think Bowman is pretty awesome at this level actually…people forget he plays nearly every game on his own up front…it’s probably the hardest position on the pitch. Leads the line well, can’t finish but that’s the reason he plays for us and not a better team.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Bowman is pretty awesome at this level actually…people forget he plays nearly every game on his own up front…it’s probably the hardest position on the pitch. Leads the line well, can’t finish but that’s the reason he plays for us and not a better team.
🤣

So you think he's pretty awesome yet you say he can't finish.

Not sure how those two things go together for a striker.

Langer

Most of my adult life we have struggled for a striker we have one now that will get us 15 a season who’s an absolute beast and people would sell him for a 100k it’s not worth the paperwork for 100k.

grecIAN Harris

No, he isn't good enough. He misses too many chances, doesn't attack the ball in the penalty area, and his "assist" record is very poor. As a back- up he'll have to do I expect, but not as main striker. We won't get promoted if he is
Who gives a toss how many goals he assists? He's in the side to score goals. Nobody will remember whether he set up ten or one hundred but everybody will remember how many he scored.

tonykellowfan

Obviously a marmite player. I like him and tbh I don’t understand why some people who watch the same games don’t like him. That’s football I suppose.