• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ryan Bowman..... (to Shrewsbury)

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bowman is somewhat of an enigma scored a great goal end of the second leg playoffs semifinal against Colchester then in the final early in first half when running into the penalty area appeared to trip himself up.

My main concern if he stays. regardless who ever MT brings in, it will be more of the “same old same old” and no incentive for MT to make any changes to the way the team is set up and plays. Or to put it another way stuck with Plan A with no likely Plan B anywhere to be seen.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bowman is somewhat of an enigma scored a great goal end of the second leg playoffs semifinal against Colchester then in the final early in first half when running into the penalty area appeared to trip himself up.

My main concern if he stays. regardless who ever MT brings in, it will be more of the “same old same old” and no incentive for MT to make any changes to the way the team is set up and plays. Or to put it another way stuck with Plan A with no likely Plan B anywhere to be seen.
Agreed. If he stays I wonder if he will get a similar talk to what Sweeney got last pre season i.e. he’s got work to do to get a regular place in the team. Thing is, we know he can be very effective when he’s on his game, so maybe that extra competition will see him step up more consistently?

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster

Exeweb is a funny place at times. Frequently we see the opinion expressed that you need a big and physical team to succeed in League 2. Bowman is a physical player who unsettles opposition defenders. Yes we need several "plans" to switch between during matches as the circumstances arise, but why would you want to abandon the physical approach altogether and get rid of Bowman ? I want to see signings made before we contemplate selling key players like Bowman and Jay, and leave ourselves with basically our youngsters who end up being complimented with desperate "make weight" signings of the calibre of Fisher.

Alistair20000

All I remember is Taylor saying we paid a small fee to release him from his contract at Motherwell. Probably something fairly nominal, I’d imagine.
I thought it was mentioned that we had paid a small fee to cover the legal expenses of the transfer paperwork.

ExmouthMart

I thought it was mentioned that we had paid a small fee to cover the legal expenses of the transfer paperwork.
Was it his bus fare?!

IndoMike

Since everyone else is picking a number, as I remember it we paid 50k for Bowman.
I don't think we'll get 150k for Bowman but we should ask for it and nego 125k.
We can afford to.turn down less than that and use him as a back-up forward for the new, incoming game changer if necessary.

tonykellowfan

I don't get the hate for Bowman. In the part of the season when we played our best, he was an integral part of a front 4 of Randall-Williams-Jay-Bowman that was extremely effective.

Where we need to strengthen is centre midfield where basically Taylor and Collins had to play every game as there was no alternative and towards the end of the season they were knackered.

Smithyno6

I don't get the hate for Bowman. In the part of the season when we played our best, he was an integral part of a front 4 of Randall-Williams-Jay-Bowman that was extremely effective.

Where we need to strengthen is centre midfield where basically Taylor and Collins had to play every game as there was no alternative and towards the end of the season they were knackered.
Agree. Would still want him in the starting 11 if his effort maintains. Let’s be honest, Taylor stitched him up by not getting someone to play alongside him. He seems to be that type of striker but because Taylor didn’t get anyone or kept using way below par Seymour, he was relied on to score every game and that wasn’t going to happen.

Grecian Max

There's nothing wrong with Bowman, in fact I'd say we have had good value out of him and overall is a player I'll look back on and think he put in a good shift for us.

The issue is, where we want to be and how we want to achieve it, he simply goes missing too often at key moments. There's talk about the physical aspect to his game and when he's on it, yes he's a menace. But I would say at least 30% if not more he's not putting the same shift in. May be due to being overplayed but whatever the reason there are clear limitations. And his finishing, as the lone CF, just isn't good enough if we want to be promoted in those autos.

Rattling around the bottom end of the play offs or just outside - sure he can lead the line. But this summer we need to markedly improve to finally get that promotion the club desires.

Grecian Max

I'd also say that he won't want to be sitting around on the bench, which is fair enough. Much rather have some new hunger on the bench behind a real senior "difference maker" in that CF than a p!s5ed off Bowman ready to come on, not play well and then swing an arm....