• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Barrow AFC Match Day Thread

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Given what MT and the coaches had to deal with this season, I am happy for them to take us on next season. Of course, this season has been frustrating, particularly in the latter stages of the season. However, I suspect that a top half finish, was all that was expected of him and his players this season. In reality, the group has shown they are probably capable of a little more than that so strengthen in the summer and we have a good chance of moving forward next season.

The temptation after a season like this, is to look at things negatively, when in reality, there is much to be pleased with. Here's to a new season with fans in attendance, and hopefully we will have something to smile about at the end of it :).
The coaches. The service to Bowman has been woeful from free kicks, corners and throw ins and I'm attributing a proportion of the blame for that on the coaching. In div 4 this is a primary source of goalscoring chances and we did not capitalise on this at all. The coaching staff need to up their game in this respect.

On the other hand the centre of defence certainly improved as the season went on so credit must go to the coaches for that.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good old Exeweb. Knee jerk over reaction all over the place 😃
Not really, it’s opinions based on 46 games of inconsistency.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
His stats show another story. Football recruitment is reliant on the stats. Archie has done well this seaso . Sometimes the better players frustrated. Doesn't mean they are bad players.
I dont think he's a bad player, he's a consistent L2 player who tidies up well, but doesn't score, is physically very average, and rarely changes a game. On the plus side he's got good close control, good passing range and is rarely injured.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
If caprice had stayed at tranmere he would be in the playoffs!
So would Willmott, who could still be playing L1 next season. He was so sh!t for us that I reckon Newport loaned him to us as an agent with the purpose of helping to keep us in L2 and then they'd offer him a new contract in L1. Investigation required!

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
So another year in effing league 2.

Seriously bored with this league now. And there's always the worry that one bad season sees you go the other way.

No-one coming up or down should scare us. We have to aim for top 3 next season.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
The coaches. The service to Bowman has been woeful from free kicks, corners and throw ins and I'm attributing a proportion of the blame for that on the coaching. In div 4 this is a primary source of goalscoring chances and we did not capitalise on this at all.
I dont blame Bowman at all for his glaring miss today or his poor form since Xmas. He's fed of scraps for the last 20 games knowing he's not here next season.

I was slightly concerned about his desire for the play offs though when he booked my Airbnb in St Ives for a week during the period when the semi final play offs are due. He could of course have travelled back for the games.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Liam Trotter at 33 against the Chipnickers, looking like the player we needed all season. If you're going for experience then he's available after next month

Topsham Boy

Matt Taylor's post match interview contains a couple of interesting comments. J paraphrase. Firstly, he stated there wouldn't be largescale changes to the squad, because of budget limits tor next season and went on to say that the squad would be supplemented by quality players coming in. My interpretation of this is that we shouldn't expect a large release of players from this season's squad.

He also,spoke about the disappointment of Matt Jay receiving his award , after the match, in front of a small crowd of people, and hoped that the recognition might be given next season, in front of a "normal size" crowd, if MJ is still with us. I guess Matt Taylor's expecting bids for MJ in the close season, which may mean the loss of our leading goalscorer from this season.
No large scale changes? Well, it’s L2 for the foreseeable future then. MT has next season to get us promoted or it’s taxi for Taylor time.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Liam Trotter at 33 against the Chipnickers, looking like the player we needed all season. If you're going for experience then he's available after next month
Did you used to represent Del and Rodney as well?

ChardGrecian

We absolutely must sort the recruitment out this summer. It has been very poor over the past two years and whoever suggested and recruited Ajose, Atangana, Fisher, Caprice and more Must be held to account. Our trust representives on the board should be asking very serious questions on how we ever agreed to pay high wages to Ajose and never got anything worth from him. Had it not been for our youngsters and we relied on the older so called experienced players we could have easily been in a relegation dog fight